New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Off duty time

I have just been accepted to serve as scrub nurse and awaiting date. I wanted to ask what do the staff do on their days off, hobbies etc...keeping fit is there a gym? Are you allowed to go offshore ?....so many questions...
Regina ..from Scotland

Comments

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 99
    Me again! I found some of your questions...

The Crew do many different things on their day off. It is your day to explore!

When you arrive we will give you a briefing on the city of Cotonou & what to be aware of before you venture outdoors. We love to get to know people in the communities in the city we are in.

There will be information on how to get around Cotonou as well as organised activities for you to get involved in. We have a program called 'Mercy Ministries' where our buddy Lere will organise different serving opportunities with local orphanages, schools etc. so the Crew can engage with local people who are disadvantaged more than others.

There is a gym, though it is quite small. There are runners who will find a way to run! Otherwise people do go out walking.

You are very much encouraged to go off-ship & get to know the city. We always advise people travel around in groups & know where they're going. It easier & safer that way. Taxis will take you where you need to go.

Hope that helps.

Ally Jones

HR Director
  • thank you for the prompt reply

Regina