New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

OR nurse questions

Hi my name is Liz and I have applied and been accepted to work as an operating room nurse, hoping to volunteer a year from now in May 2017! I have many questions about the OR and what being an OR nurse is like aboard the ship. I have been an OR nurse for a year and a half. I think I read somewhere that Mercy Ships has 6 operating rooms, is that correct? What is the call schedule like for OR nurses? How often are you on call and for how many consecutive hours? What is the most common procedure performed in the OR? And last for now, what is your favorite part about being an OR nurse for Mercy Ships?

Comments

• Ashley BlomAshley Blom Posts: 19
    Hi Liz!

Have you taken advantage of our Member Search to find other OR nurses? I hope some will chime in here, but you can reach out to people directly using this link: https://mymercy.mercyships.org/members/search 
  • Catherine MurphyCatherine Murphy Posts: 45
    Great questions, Liz!

I've reached out to a few OR nurses from our side and asked them to get back to you here. It's a busy time for them, as we are just wrapping up our current field service in Madagascar! Thanks for your patience!

Catherine Murphy
  • DawnCrowtherDawnCrowther Surgical Staffing Manager Posts: 25 - Current Staff
    HI Liz,

Just wanted to share that the OR is scheduled to do General and Maxillofacial cases during the weeks we have you slotted in for 2017. A list of our typical surgical procedures are posted in the Medical FAQ section

Dawn Crowther
  • Thanks Ashley! That is very helpful! And thanks, Catherine! I definitely understand it being a busy time for them! No worries! And thanks, Dawn! That is also very helpful! I will look at that.