New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Being on a Ship in COVID

Hello, I have a question for any current volunteers or volunteers who have served since the pandemic hit. How does it feel to be on the ship during a pandemic? Do you believe it is a dangerous place to be? Does the ships current location seem to be a place of high risk for sickness?

I want to serve on the ship very badly right now, as long as it is the responsible action to take. That's why I ask. Do you all have any advice?

Lindsey

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 213 admin

@lindsey.nj.20

Hi Lindsey,

Thank you for your desire to serve with Mercy Ships and for your willingness to serve during this pandemic!

The Africa Mercy is in a port in the Canary Islands which is very safe and pretty isolated. It is definitely very low risk for sickness currently. Right now, it is probably one of the safest places to be in the world. Unfortunately, the crew have not been given shore leave since they arrived a few months ago. There are very few crew arriving onboard, and those who are, must either quarantine for 14 days or be on restriction according to the percentage of COVID cases in their countries, and they are tested for the virus.

Depending on where you live, you will either be required to quarantine in your cabin for 14 days upon arrival, or you will be on 14 days of restrictions.

All this to say, yes...the ship is a very safe environment, and we are committed to keeping it as safe as possible. We take the safety of our crew very seriously.

Hope this helps.