New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

cash or credit card while flying and airports?

Hello all experienced travelers! I have never traveled beyond the USA and would like to know: How much cash is needed for international flights and layovers?, what denominations?, or just use a normal bank credit card for coffee and snacks? I have 4 hrs in Paris (to Dakar) and will have 8 hrs in Istanbul (to home).

Any other advice for a single female traveler?

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 213 admin

@VIRGINIASIMMONS

Hi Virginia!

I usually take $50 for any food or drinks or anything else I may end up needing. For layovers in the US, I use a debit or credit card. However, you must be sure to contact your bank and/or credit card company to let them know you are traveling abroad and where, because they often lock your card when it's being used in another country in case someone has stolen it -- especially if you have never traveled abroad previously.

In Senegal, it's best to always use cash as debit/credit card information can be easily stolen here.

Hope this was helpful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi @VIRGINIASIMMONS,

To compliment Andrea's response, I have travelled a lot back & forth from the ship. I always use my credit card when travelling as it provides some protection. Paris airports will have all of the capabilities for paying by cards. Once you're on the ship you will be able to use the Crew Bank on board to get some local currency.

Travelling with a bit of cash (US Dollars) is smart, but not too much!!