New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Living on the Ship

Hello All!

My name is Amy and I am a Registered Nurse from Alberta, Canada that will be coming aboard as a Ward Nurse starting September 1. I was just curious about what I am required to bring aboard for bedding? I've seen some photos of the bunks etc. from one of the alumni and it looked as if people had brought their own bedding. My posting is for 10 weeks. Is it a requirement that I supply my own bedding or is just something that some people do for themselves that have longer postings? And if people do bring their own bedding, how do they get it there? Do they send it to the ship via care packages?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank so much!

Amy :)

Comments

• AlysonSandersAlysonSanders - Current Staff Posts: 18 - Current Staff

Hello Amy,

We are so glad to hear you will be joining the team on board in September!

On board, you will be provided with one fitted sheet, one duvet with a cover, one pillow, and one pillowcase. If you wish to bring your own bedding items, you can feel free to do so. Some volunteers, especially those who will be on board for quite some time, prefer to bring their own bedding items to make their cabins feel even more cozy. You can either pack them with you or you can send via care package; however, it can take awhile for a package to arrive to the ship so you must plan ahead. You can read more info on the Shipping FAQ's page on Navigator.

Please let us know if you have further questions!

Alyson Sanders

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 141 admin

@edwardsa27

Hi Amy,

I just want to add my thanks to you for being one of our awesome Ward Nurses! I hope your time onboard is very rewarding. Please feel free to reach out here any time with any questions you may have.

• nat3channat3chan Posts: 2

Hey Amy :) My name is Natalie, and I'm also from Alberta (but just moved to Ontario last month!). I'm a nurse as well and will be going on board the same time as you, minus one week. Can't wait to meet and work with you!