New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

December 28-January 18

Any other Winter service members hanging out on the board? I will be on board for three weeks over new years, I am an OR Nurse coming from Houston, TX. This will be my second service on board the Africa Mercy, I was in Guinea this past February/March for two weeks. I am so excited to return, I wasn't ready to leave in March. I wish I could stay longer than 3 weeks, but my employer said that's as long as they'll hold my position. I work in a pediatric hospital on the orthopedic surgical team, so I'm excited to see that I'll be in Senegal during the time when ortho surgeries are scheduled to happen.

I'm looking forward to meeting many new friends, and hopefully seeing some old ones!

Sarah

Comments

• jaxie_ryan87jaxie_ryan87 Surgical Placement Facilitator Posts: 20

@SarahBurdette We are so excited that you are going to volunteer again. I am so happy to hear that your time in Guinea was so very special. Thank you for being one of our amazing volunteers who bring hope and healing!

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 142 admin

@SarahBurdette Thank you for returning to serve again in Senegal! It's because of wonderful volunteers like you that we are able to bring hope and healing in Africa.

• TeniahHowellTeniahHowell Posts: 15

Hi, Sarah. Look forward to meeting you. I will be working in Outpatients from December to Feb, so really looking forward to meeting you! It will be our first time.

• caysibonescaysibones Posts: 3

Hi Sarah,

I will be in the recovery room January 4-25th! I'm sure we will cross many paths :-)

• SarahBurdetteSarahBurdette Posts: 26 ✭✭

I'm looking forward to meeting you @TeniahHowell and @caysibones!! Mercy Ships has been one of the best decisions I've ever made, and I can't wait to return in December! I only wish that I were able to serve longer. Maybe someday that door will open for me. Until then, I am honored to give what little time I have.

• DawnCrowtherDawnCrowther Surgical Staffing Manager Posts: 30 - Current Staff

Hi @SarahBurdette The enthusiasm in your posts is very contagious; thank you for sharing! We are very grateful that you can come for these weeks, especially in December. Sometimes, compared to other times, this can be a harder month to staff. Since you will be there in December, one idea is take a few Christmas and /or NYE decorations with you to share with your cabin mates or the OR office. Could be fun for you to add these decorations to these areas...just an idea. Thanks again for your service with Mercy Ships!