New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Packing

sam-the-mansam-the-man Posts: 16

How much luggage can we bring and can we have pictures on the walls of the ship. Can we have a small bookshelf in our room. Sam

Comments

• CynthiaHarrisCynthiaHarris Posts: 19 - Current Staff

@sam-the-man

Hi Sam! Your excitement is contagious! This information is from the Volunteer Guidebook. I don't believe you can bring a bookshelf of any kind along with you.

"Cabins can be decorated and personalized by hanging pictures and other items using magnets. Storage space is limited for clothing and luggage. You will have one small closet (approximately 20 inches/50 centimetres wide) and one drawer. Please bring a duffel bag, which is much easier to stow than a suitcase."  

Let me know if you have other questions.

Cynthia Harris

• purser-afmpurser-afm Posts: 11

Hi Sam,

A lot of people make/buy something like in these attached fotos to keep books and electronics handy.

I also used Shutterfly to order magnets of a few favorite pictures, and they work great.

Hope that helps!

Julianne

• sam-the-mansam-the-man Posts: 16

Julianne Thank you for the photos that was really help full. Now I know that I can't bring a bookshelf

• purser-afmpurser-afm Posts: 11
    edited May 5

Hi Sam,

You can bring most anything you want, but your available space really depends on the layout of your cabin (which you won't know until arrival). Most of us try to pack light, so I was merely trying to guide you to a packable, lightweight option with 100% guarantee of being useful.

However, shelves aren't prohibited. If it's that important to you, just find/make a strong magnetic shelf. If there isn't room on a common wall of your cabin, you can always put it at the foot of your bed.

No worries!

Julianne

• BrendaBraxtonBrendaBraxton Posts: 24

I would like to point out that the information in the guide book isn't necessarily correct. The cabins are all a little different. I've been to the ship 3 times and I've never had a drawer. My cabins have all had a set of 4 shelves, which I share with a bunkmate, so 2 shelves each.