New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Learning French

TeniahHowellTeniahHowell Posts: 6

I was wondering if any of those who have previously/currently worked on Mercy Ships have advice around learning French prior to serving? My husband and I are serving for the first time in December and I would really like to have a basic knowledge of the French language before arriving. I understand that there is some access to French curriculum once on the ship, but I was wondering what access we have to that prior to arrival?

Also, have you found it useful to learn French?

Comments

• CarolineKirchnerCarolineKirchner Posts: 27

Duolingo is a great app to start the process. Lot’s of crew use it.

• coraliedanielscoraliedaniels Posts: 1

Currently studying online with Lingvist. Pretty good.

• TeniahHowellTeniahHowell Posts: 6

Thanks for the responses! I started the Duolingo and I am finding it really good. 😉

• CelineDLegerCelineDLeger Posts: 11

Teniah,

There's also French classes offered on the Ship in Guinea. If it is still going on in Senegal, you may certainly join in to keep up your learning. I encourage you greatly as the patients like it a lot when we can converse at least a little with them.

• purser-afmpurser-afm Posts: 11

In addition to the above suggestions, the Peace Corps has a free course online at https://www.livelingua.com/peace-corps/

KwizIQ.com also has free and premium packages.

Good luck!

Julianne