New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Sending Packages to the Africa Mercy via Containers

TravisHowellTravisHowell Posts: 4

Hello,

My wife and I are going to be serving in Senegal for 3 months beginning in December. I have seen the info on Navigator about the process to ship yourself packages via the containers that leave the US every month or so.

Is there any issues with sending a package or 2 (USPS Flat Rate boxes) to be included in a container shipment and then have that container with our packages arrive in Senegal before we begin our service, or do we need to be on the ship already when the container arrives in order to receive our packages immediately?

For example, would there be an issue with getting our packages to TX around September so that they would hopefully be shipped with the container that same month? This would probably result in the container arriving in Senegal before we actually get there, so our packages are there waiting for us when we arrive.

We were thinking that this would be the best way to get a 3-month supply of toiletry/consumable items to the ship without taking up space and weight in our airline luggage.

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 122 admin

@TravisHowell @TeniahHowell We are so pleased you will both be serving with Mercy Ships in Senegal!

I will check into this for you and will get back to you soon with a response.

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 122 admin

@TravisHowell The Mailroom has let me know that, due to little to no storage space on the Africa Mercy, it would be best if you were on the ship when your boxes arrive. Please count back 60 days from your arrival on the ship, and that is when you need to have your boxes here at the International Support Center in Texas to be in the container.

Hope this helps.

• CarolineKirchnerCarolineKirchner Posts: 27

You can also purchase toiletries and other consumable items in the Ship Shop on board. I’m sure if you have specific questions about items that are available on board, you can get an answer from those on the ship now. Plus, when I served in Benin there were stores in town that carried most things you would need, so in the end, there might not be a need to send a package via the container?

• purser-afmpurser-afm Posts: 11

Hi Travis,

Agreed, we are unable to receive packages for crew prior to their arrival due to our limited space.

I'd recommend just bringing what you think you'll need. As long as your bags collapse (such as a duffel on wheels) they will fit under your bed.

If you run out of an item, you can replenish at the ship shop or possibly even for free at the boutique (where departing crew members often leave 1/2 full bottles of shampoo).

Look forward to seeing you in Senegal!

Julianne

Purser, M/V Africa Mercy