New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Introducing Myself

Hi, All. My name is Mike Cheston. My wife Laurie Wesely and I will be arriving Sunday January 6th, and we are both blessed and excited to get there. Laurie will be working as a Ward Nurse (with 30+ years experience as a nurse) and I will be working housekeeping during our 2-month time there. Most of my background is in security but I'm happy to serve in any capacity...and I am really good at house cleaning...I've been practicing. Bless you all.

Comments

• HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 68 ✭✭

Michael,

Thank you so much for choosing to serve with us. We really appreciate you and Laurie :)

Have a wonderful holiday season before you guys get there. If you have any questions before you head out then please contact you placement facilitator or one of us here on myMercy,

Blessings,

Hannah in the UK office

• Thanks, Hannah! Blessings...

• KimMarlattKimMarlatt Posts: 12

Hi Michael and Laurie
    I am also arriving on January 6/19 until Jan 19/19. Two week to test the waters so to speak. I am an O.R. nurse. Perhaps we will all meet up at the airport and be transported to the ship together. Looking forward to connecting with you and your wife.
    Have a great day
    Kim

• We'll look for you...safe travels.

• SherrySealsSherrySeals Posts: 7
    Aww...Thank you for serving Michael. I hope to meet you and your wife when you get on board.

I'm serving with the dental team beginning 12/16/18. I will still be aboard when you guys arrive.

Safe travels. 🙂
  • AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 85 admin

Thank you for serving, Michael and Laurie!

• Micheal,
    I am arriving Christmas Day to serve in housekeeping. I have a question on what we need to wear for our position? Could you respond soon, I fly out on 24 th.
    Kind Regards,
    Deborah

• Hey Deborah - I just saw this comment...sorry so late to respond. I'm not the guy to ask as I'm a "new guy" as well, I'm afraid; but what I have been able to cull from various searches on the site is you just need to bring some slip resistant shoes to work in. It is my understanding the uniform is provided once we arrive. I'll keep searching to see if I can come up with any other information. Look forward to working with you.

Mike

• I found an old post from 2017 from one of the AFM staff - at that time they had a uniform shortage, but had ordered some new ones. They also recommended the following: "I would suggest to bring some comfortable pants and shirts that you won't mind getting dirty. If you can get black pants and green shirts to sort of match the uniforms, that would be an added bonus."

I'm still looking...

• Thank you so much, see you soon. I will bring my scrubs they are blue pants and t-shirts. I will try to find green but may not be able too. I work hospice and have a patient till Sunday night and fly Monday morning.

• I exchanged emails with Brad Morgan...our housekeeping supervisor - he indicated he has uniforms...we just need comfortable shoes. Safe travels, Deborah...see you soon.

• Wonderful ,even lighter I shall pack..😊.

• CarolineKirchnerCarolineKirchner Posts: 26

Hi! You all will LOVE housekeeping. I did for 6 weeks on the sail from Durban to Benin in 2016. I was serving when our daughter (Beth Kirchner who is the 1st grade teacher in the AFM Academy) first started to serve on the AFM. She is on leave for Christmas these two weeks, but will be arriving back on the ship on the 6th as well on Air France Houston-Paris-Conakry.
    I’ve added a picture of our happy housekeeping team (we got the bandanas in Durbin to add to our uniform shirts, nice huh? I hear that the uniforms are more “uniform” now).

• MichaelChestonMichaelCheston Posts: 14

Hey, Caroline - if you can send us a picture of Beth, we'll keep an eye out for her on our way. Happy New Year!

By the way...any insight into what I'll be doing in housekeeping...daily routine and such...and advice, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There is a routine in housekeeping. It is finely tuned and efficient. Most of my housekeeping duties were on the sail when there wasn't a full crew so the public areas weren't as used (aka in need of cleaning) as they will be when you are onboard. Each morning we'd gather in the laundry room, sing, pray and then be assigned (or volunteer) for certain decks (each deck has a specific a routine of mopping, emptying trash, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, filling up soap and sanitizer dispensers, sanitizing, etc. That would usually take most of the morning (with a "mandatory" break at 10am along with the rest of the housekeeping and most of the crew...wonderful fellowship time in midships with a cup of coffee or tea). My favorite was deck 7 since that is were the Academy is and you it has access to the outside (on a sail, way more interesting than in port however!). In the afternoon there are "special projects"...long term deep cleaning, straightening up the international lounge (oh! there is a whole system to make sure all the chairs are straight, etc.) and another afternoon tea break. I got to know lots of crew members that I might not have known because I was in their offices or working space emptying trash cans or sanitizing their doorknobs. Most importantly, I always felt appreciated and full of joy knowing my small part of cleaning the bathrooms on the ship were really all about bringing hope and healing to the forgotten poor.

Awesome, Caroline. Thanks so much.

Here is a picture of our sweet Beth, she is amazing (I know I'm her mom, but really, ask anyone!) She is not only is a fabulous teacher, she’s a great singer has started an acapella singing group onboard (she is a barbershopper), she has a heart of gold and loves the Lord.

We'll keep an eye out for her on the plane...blessings.