New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

how to finance 2+ months aboard

Hello All,

I am excited about the possibility of volunteering for this wonderful organization but am nervous about ensuring I have the finances to back me up. How much should I save beforehand?  

Comments

• Margaret,

Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships. There are over 1,500 volunteers from around the globe that serve with us annually and we would be blessed to add you.

There are varying costs for serving with Mercy Ships but typically if you are from a developed nation and this is your first time to serve the cost for lodging and meals on board the Africa Mercy is $700.00 per month.  The cost that varies most greatly are the travel costs. Do you already have your passport and immunizations necessary to travel to West Africa?  The Africa Mercy is currently serving in Benin and the cost of travel can vary greatly. Ihave attached a 'Suggested Minimum Monthly Budget' worksheet to assist you with thinking through the related costs.

Please don't discount the idea of building a support team.  It is always a good idea to invite your friends and family to join you in this journey by gifting financial assistance.  We can offer guidance in this effort as well. There are other tips and tools offered through MyMercy on the Support Raising page.

Again, thank you for your interest and please don't hesitate to ask more questions.