New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Arrival at Benin airport

Hi All, I arrived a few days ago and would like to give a few words of advice about process when you land in Benin.

Initially, before you leave the plane:

1) Make sure you are hydrated as it is hot here and can take a while to get through the airport.

2) Carry a pen, passport, visa waiver and yellow fever card.

So down the steps and onto the waiting bus for the trip to the terminal, it is hot is it not!

The first thing when in the terminal is to obtain a 'landing card' and fill it out. It asks basic information about yourself and why you are in Benin. When this is done you will need to present your Yellow fever card to the guys in the white coats, they will then check that all is in order and let you proceed to the immigration official. They will require your passport, visa waiver and landing card. If these are OK , a photo of your lovely face will be taken. Proceed then to the baggage hall, DO NOT use the porters as they will expect payment, instead grab a trolley and wait for your bags. 

So bags collected, turn around and you should see a big X-ray machine, place the bags on one at a time. Then move to the other end and place them back on the trolley. Wheel it around the corner (left hand) and a man will need the 'baggage reclaim tags' and check them against the bags you have. This done push the trolley through the door in to the arrivals hall, on the right is a door to the outside world. Through this door your should see the friendly face of the driver from the ship who has come to collect you. 

Now you can relax and let them take over, as you have arrived.

Hope this helps to take the stress out of arriving here.

Comments

• Thank you for the tips. My family and I have just been accepted and will be headed to Benin in March. Do you, or anyone else have any other "tips" or " I wish I would have been told...."?? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. (Outside of the tips previously posted by other crew members, as we have read through many st of them.) God bless and thank you. And we are excited to meet all of the crew members and the beautiful people of Benin
  • AlysonSandersAlysonSanders Posts: 18 - Current Staff
    Hi Andie,

Thanks for posting! This is very helpful information for our volunteers arriving in Benin. 

I'm happy to see you made it safely to Benin and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on board the Africa Mercy!

~Alyson Sanders
  • heatherpetersonheatherpeterson Senior Director of Talent Acquisition Posts: 92 admin

Brad Morgan:

Thank you for the tips. My family and I have just been accepted and will be headed to Benin in March. Do you, or anyone else have any other "tips" or " I wish I would have been told...."?? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. (Outside of the tips previously posted by other crew members, as we have read through many st of them.) God bless and thank you. And we are excited to meet all of the crew members and the beautiful people of Benin

Hey Brad,

Since your family will be entering Benin with the rest of the On Boarding group, you guys have the benefit of travelling together with the On Boarding team leaders who have been through the airport in Cotonou many times. I actually went in September, and it was essentially just as Andie so kindly outlined! Overall it's a fairly straightforward process. The important part is to keep your luggage reclaim tickets from the beginning of your journey. Some people discard them and it can cause issues when you want to leave the airport with your baggage. :)

Looking forward to meeting you guys soon!