New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Photography in Guinea

Working on the communications team, I took my camera almost everywhere I went. What I didn't expect were the reactions I received. Some people had no problem and begged me to take their photographs, others seemd offended. It was a great lesson for me - before you ever take your camera out of your bag in public: ask.

Comments

• A great recommendation for sure!

What kind of cameras do you use?
  • Catherine MurphyCatherine Murphy Posts: 45
    A Nikon D600, but I would recommend a point-and-shoot for crew looking just to take pictures around town, as it attracts less attention.
  • DakotaWheelerDakotaWheeler Posts: 8
    Having travelled now to a number of countries in which I speak virtually none of the local language, when I wish to take a photo, often I will mimic taking a photo while making eye contact and smiling.  It seems almost universal that the person will nod their head in assent, and often smile.
  • Catherine MurphyCatherine Murphy Posts: 45
    Absolutely true, Dakota. Never underestimate the value of charades in cross-cultural communication. :-) 
  • Hi , I have almost the same photo taken in 2012 at the dock in Conakry ,
    Nice to meet you ,
  • Donovan PalmerDonovan Palmer Posts: 17 - Current Staff
    It is also a VERY good idea to ask when you are around buildings or locations that might be sensitive. (i.e. borders, checkpoints, police stations, government and military buildings, etc.)  Sometimes there is a sign in French, sometimes there is not and just need to know!