New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Excited to return to the Africa Mercy

Hi my name is Candace, I served on the Africa Mercy in 2013 with two of my co-workers.  I am an Operating Room Nurse and live in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada with my husband John (just celebrated our 18th Anniversary) and our 5yr GoldenDoodle Tilly.  I will be returning to the Africa Mercy in April 2019 (April 7th - 20th). I am looking forward to returning, however it will be a very different experience for me this time as I am traveling solo.  I will certainly miss having my co-workers/friends with me, however I am looking forward to meeting lots of friends onboard. I would appreciate any pointers in regards to travelling through the airports, what essentials you felt important to pack that may not be on the list and any other tidbits you may have on living onboard the ship.

Sincerely,

Candace

Comments

• AlyssaRoweAlyssaRowe Posts: 142 - Current Staff
    Hi Candace!

We are looking forward to having you back on board and apart of our OR Team! I hope you get lots of great pointers from our awesome community here.

Please let me know if I may assist you in any way!

Blessings,

Alyssa

Medical Recruiter
  • Hello Candace,

I am Judith Postmus from the Netherlands. I will be serving the mercy Ships from 7th-27th April as an anesthesia assistant :) So I will be arriving on the same day as you, it will be my first time and I travel alone as well. I really looking forward to meet you and the rest of the crew. Did you arrange already some things for traveling and staying on board.

• CarolineKirchnerCarolineKirchner Posts: 26

@JudithPostmus you will be serving with one of the best (crazy) doctors on board

! Dr. Brian Barki. He and his family have been such a blessing to my daughter, Beth Kirchner, who is serving as the 1st grade teacher in the AFM Academy this year and next. Be sure to find her while you are on board!

• you are all welcome back on board the Africa Mercy Ship and you will not regret to be part of the great and lovely team and once more welcome back Judith Postmus and Candace and Happy New Year too...

• JudithPostmusJudithPostmus Posts: 2

Woow great pictures @CarolineKirchner, I am already getting excited seeing those happy faces.
    I hope to work with this crazy doctor Brian Barki and help lots of children, can't wait! I'm looking forward to meet your daughter in April, can I bring her something with me from the Netherlands for AFM academy?
    Blessings,
    Judith Postmus

• Hi Judith, I look forward to meeting you. I haven’t purchased my airline ticket yet but will be doing so this month. Do you have everything ready for travel?
    Candace
  • EarlaWilliamsEarlaWilliams Posts: 2

Hi! My name is Earla. I am an operating room nurse from The state of Indiana in the USA. THis is my first time on the Mercy Ship, and I am due to arrive the end of January. I am a little nervous every about flying internationally by myself. Any advice would be appreciated!

• daggett3965daggett3965 Posts: 4

Earla: My husband and I will be traveling from Indiana on January 26th! We fly direct from Indianapolis to Paris and Paris to Guinea. I think we arrive Sunday the 27th at around 6:30 pm. I too will be serving in the OR. You can e-mail me directly at [email protected] Our names are Ron and Jennifer Daggett. This is my third trip but my husband's first....so I know the feeling of traveling international solo. Hopefully we can connect in the next week!

• jaxie_ryan87jaxie_ryan87 Surgical Placement Facilitator Posts: 15

I am so very excited for each of you and your time onboard to serve!
    Blessings,
    Jaxie

• RebekahHoyeRebekahHoye Posts: 21

I also will be traveling to Africa Mercy solo on February 24th and am tagging on to this thread in case anyone has any good input about what to expect upon arrival at the Conakry airport!

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 70 admin

Hi! When you arrive in Conakry, after you go through Customs, and proceed to the baggage claim area, there will be someone from Mercy Ships there to greet you. They should have a large sign so that you can recognize them. They will transport you to the ship. Let me know if you have any further questions. I'm happy to help you.

• SarahBurdetteSarahBurdette Posts: 16

I found on Navigator a list of people who are arriving at the same time as I am, which made me feel more at ease, as well as the name of the driver picking us up. It's all listed by flight number/arrival time and then it lists the names of the individuals arriving. Just find your arrival time, and you'll see your name along with everyone else on board your flight who is also Africa Mercy bound! I am traveling alone as well, THIS Saturday/Sunday to Conakry - but it makes me feel a lot better knowing I will be surrounded by strangers - who are soon to be friends - all flying to the same destination for the same purpose as I am. We will all stumble through customs and to baggage claim looking for our driver together. :)