New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

time off during dry dock

Hello all,

I read that in the food services you work a few days on and then a few off. 

I am wondering how the kitchen staff spend their time off during June and July, when the ship is dry docked?

Comments

• Kathy LongKathy Long Posts: 1
    As you have understood. The work schedule is 2 days on/2 days off 3 days on and alternates the following week with the 3 days off falling on a week-end. It is a 14 day schedule working 80 hours.

Your time off is yours to with as you like. We do not do any ministry during shipyard. The focus is maintanence and repair of the ship. 

When we do shipyard in the Canary Islands there is plenty to do on you your time off. Beaches, hiking trails, museums, shops, resturaunts. You will even be able to stay off ship on your week-end if you want.You will find you will get to know other crew members very quickly and will be invited to join in with what ever they have planned. If you have any other questions please contact me.

blessings Kathy Long
  • TyroneBartonTyroneBarton Posts: 5
    Great answer Kathy! I received this message as well and was planning on answering pretty much the same.

Oh, and one other thing, we won't be in dry dock. We will be in shipyard phase, which is actually nicer.
  • Jeremy BrewerJeremy Brewer Posts: 82
    Denise,

I'm Jeremy, a recruiter here at Mercy Ships, and I'm so excited to see you getting involved and asking questions on myMercy.  It's a great community and resource for building connections before arriving to the ship, getting tips and advice, hearing other people's stories, and for keeping in touch and being available to help others after your service.

If there is anything I can do to assist you or to encourage you, please let me know.  Every role on board the Africa Mercy is crucial to the success and continuation of our mission to bring hope and healing to the world's forgotten poor, even when we are in Shipyard or dry-dock.  Thank you so much for your willingness to join us in this great adventure.

Tyrone Barton‍  and Kathy Long‍, thank you for reaching out to Denise and encouraging her along the way.

Together we are bringing hope and healing.

Grace and peace,

Jeremy