New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Carry-on backpack only for 2-month trip?

WillCreeneWillCreene Posts: 12
Hi folks,

I'll be in Cameroon for the months of December and January as a CT tech. I'm travelling in Europe for a few weeks before I arrive, and would like to do that with only a (large)(40L) backpack carry-on, as all those flights will charge a lot extra if I have any checked baggage, plus it's one more thing to lose.

My question is, do you think I can do it? I don't need to take any large items like a laptop, I can do everything electronic that I need to with my phone and gopro (music, communication, etc.)

My packing list first draft:

1 pair Work shoes (light sneakers)
1 pair running/hiking/outdoors shoes
1 pair flip flops

2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of long pants (1 casual, 1 formal), 1 dress shirt, 5 t-shirts/casual shirts
Socks/boxers x7
Gym clothes
Swimming trunks
Rain jacket
Travel towel (ultra thin/light)

Chargers
Power adapter
2-3 books

Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, deodorant (cosmetics are easy for a guy!)

Magnetic hooks
Tupperware?

I think I can fit this all in my backpack, and if I have any spare room I'll probably opt for another set of semi-formal/formal clothes and some extra t-shirts etc.
I'm happy to use as much as Mercy Ships provides in terms of bedding, scrubs, etc., and I can buy consumables over 100ml like sunscreen and DEET as I need them.

So, is it doable? I normally do fine travelling minimally, but I've never travelled for more than a month at a time before.
Am I missing any huge obvious items I'll need, like the kitchen sink?
Have you found you typically don't have enough stuff and miss certain things, or that you have too much stuff and no room to store it?
Thanks!

Comments

• heatherpetersonheatherpeterson Director of Staffing Posts: 92 admin
    Hi Will,

Great list! I honestly can't think of anything you're missing, but you may want to bring one more pair of pants and/or shorts. Other than that, what you have so far is great, and anything else you might need is likely to be found at Pier 99 / Ship Shop or even in Douala. 

Hope you have a great time on your backpacking trip, and then while you're on board!