New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Cell Phone Networks in Cameroon

My understanding is that you can buy a local SIM Card either on the ship or ashore. If I come aboard I would consider bringing some unlocked devices. Any idea what networks (ie: GSM / CDMA) work well in Cameroon?  

Comments

• StuartClearStuartClear Posts: 2
    Hi Josh,

Mobile networks in Africa use GSM. In Cameroon we expect MTN and Orange to have good Pre-pay options available. As you mentioned, any device you bring needs to be unlocked for the Cameroon SIM card to work.

Cheers,

Stuart.
  • Hello, good day Josh, I am called Oben Catherine Molie, from Douala, Cameroon. I have been selected to work as a Volunteer in Mercyship from August 2017 to May, 2018. I am currently working as a Commercial Agent in the Mobile Telephone Network, (MTN) Douala, Cameroon. I do sell Sim cards and I do Identification of sim cards as well. So I will be able to assist you in that domain, once you unblock the cell phones, I will sell the sim cards to the customer , I Identify him or her immediately with my device by using his National Identity card, or his international passport.Its a pleasure meeting with you in Mercyship and I am waiting forward to see you physically. Do have a blessed day Josh.
    This is Oben Agbor Enow Catherine Molie.
    My mobile number is +237 670328815
    My email is : [email protected]
  • Josh Jennings:

My understanding is that you can buy a local SIM Card either on the ship or ashore. If I come aboard I would consider bringing some unlocked devices. Any idea what networks (ie: GSM / CDMA) work well in Cameroon?  

In cameroon, we have GSM/WCDMA /LTE network. four operators: MTN, Orange, NEXTTEL and CAMTEL