New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

How you evangelize in Africa. Do you?

One of the most frequent questions that I receive from friends that want to know more about our role as Mercy Ships in Africa is: How do you share God´s message? Especially when I try to explain that we are a Christian based floating hospital. It can be confusing (it was for me) to understand what exactly is our role as individuals.

But now, for me it is clear. If Mercy Ships follows the 2000 year old model of Jesus, bringing hope and healing to the world´s forgotten poor, then we - each one of us - are responsible to make this statement a reality.

How? Living God´s purposes in our lives. Being intentional in being real testimonies for those who interact with us daily, and be a glimpse of God for our neighbors.

Who is my neighbor? My neighbor is my cabin mate, my coworker, my crew mate, the families who come to find physical healing, the taxi driver, the vendor at the market, the waiter at the restaurant... My neighbor is the person that is next to me and some times I don't see.

If we count the opportunities that we have to model Jesus, there are thousands! Just the crew members are 400+, patients and their families 2000+, dental patients 8000+, local people who interact with us when we visit their places 500+, and for sure we have some others that I am forgetting. My questions is: Are they able to see a glimpse of God in you? In me? Are we intentionally taking advantage for the great opportunities that our Father is providing for us? Or are we just performing our duties but not sharing His message? Is this job what we are supposed to be doing?

Mercy Ships Vision statement say that: Mercy Ships uses hospital ships to transform individuals and serve nations, one at a time. Are you being spiritually transformed? Are you helping others to come to God?

We have great values to sustain Mercy Ships Vision and Mission: Love God, Love and serve others, Be people of integrity, and Be people of excellence in all we say and do. Are we living those values? Are those values directing our pathway while we are serving and loving God, loving and serving others? What does it mean for you, being people of integrity and excellence? Are we coherent in what we say and do?

So many questions (I know!) but I just want to be a part with you of that transformation in my life, and in the lives of others.

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
With that scripture in mind I want to encourage you, dear brother, dear sister, to go and evangelize with your life, with His word written in your heart. Go and love in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.