New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Media Liaison Overview

Before arriving to the ship, I had no idea what it meant to be a Media Liaison. I knew it had something to do with people and media and driving stick shift. I've now been in this role for over a year and everyday I am so thankful that I was willing to take that step into the unknown. With that said, what exactly does a Media Liaison aboard the Africa Mercy do?

A big part of our job is hosting guests. We are responsible for hosting International Media Teams and Vision Trips, which are a mix of high profile donors, corporate sponsors, board members and national office staff. We also do some work with the local media, especially at the beginning of the field service, but the majority of our work focuses on people who are sent to us from the national offices. Mercy Ships has 16 national offices and they are all working hard to send us donations and volunteers from their specific countries. It's one thing to tell people about Mercy Ships but when they see it with their own eyes...they all come away amazed at the level of organization, the passion of the crew and the sense of community aboard the ship. As a Media Liaison, it's our job to facilitate this experience. This means coordinating with many, many people on the ship to develop a schedule that works for everyone and allows the guests to see a wide variety of things. The job involves developing relationships with people in a variety of departments and understanding what their roles are, as well as knowing a lot of about Mercy Ships and what is happening at any given time.

Some of the people I have had the pleasure of hosting over the last year include media teams from National Geographic, BBC Northern Ireland, Denmark's TV2 BIGGEST program, a team from Belgium's VRT station, Canada's GlobalTV, Australian radio stations and many more. I've also been privileged to host many personal and corporate sponsors, people in a wide variety of fields including shipping, consulting, medical fields, finance, etc. The job offers a wonderful opportunity to meet people from all over the world and hear about how their various journeys brought them into contact with Mercy Ships. I also get to see them get excited and go home filled with ideas for how they can help Mercy Ships continue to do what it does - or do it even better. This level of guest does mean that there is a certain level of professionalism required for the job, which is especially true for those instances when we assist in hosting presidents, first ladies, cabinet ministers, ambassadors and other dignitaries.

As a general summary I would say that the job is a mix of planning (emails, scheduling, coordinating), relationships (hosting, introducing crew, remembering names and information), being flexible (constant schedule changes), and other random tasks (driving, informing crew, arranging interviews, protecting patient privacy, understanding policies). It's a unique role that gives you a window into almost every department and constantly keeps you on your toes. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message!

Comments

• TesseLovelessTesseLoveless Talent Brand Manager Posts: 90 admin
    Renée,

​Thank you so much for taking the time to detail this overview for us, and for future Media Liaison candidates. I think I want to do your job now! ;)

​Thank you also for your service with us.

​Best Regards,

​Tesse