New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

My Mercy story so far... hoping it unfolds!

Hi folks, my name's Will. I'm a 23yo CT tech from Canada's East Coast currently working at a pediatric hospital.

Thought I'd share the story of how I heard about Mercy Ships and how I hope it unfolds!

I was on a short Euro trip on a connecting flight through Brussels. I chose the emergency exit seat because it's a sneaky way to get extra legroom on a flight without paying extra! I sat down and a woman sat next to me. Sometimes I will plug into music or open my book, but luckily I must have been feeling talkative this day. I got talking to the girl next to me, asked her where she was going - Benin, Africa. I didn't even know where this was, so I asked further - what are you doing there? She told me she was volunteering for a medical charity. I asked what she did, and she told me she was a radiographer. I'm a radiograpgher too! I'm glad I picked this seat!

Over the course of our 1.5hr flight, I was filled in on all the details about Mercy Ships, and it sounds like an amazing operation. We sat down in the airport for a cup of tea and kept chatting until she had to go catch another flight. We exchanged contact details. I was hooked on the idea! It's been a few months but I have submitted an application to volunteer now and I'm hoping to get on board as soon as the logistics allow. I am very excited about this amazing opportunity to provide hope and healing, and I really hope it unfolds into everything I'm imagining!

I am eager to hear of other people's experiences with Mercy and hope you can all share some interesting anecdotes!

Will

Comments

• Will-

Great to have you on board! It's always a joy to watch how God puts people right where they need to be!! Will be fun to watch your story unfold..
  • Hi Will,

I recieved an email that you responded to a thread I had commented on and had questions about Mercy Ships. I spent 9 weeks in Madagascar and I would love to tell you more and I am glad you are interested in serving.
    I live an hour from Halifax on the South Shore.My son attends Dal.I am in Halifax once a month.Would love to meet you and tell you all about it.
    Marsha

• WillCreeneWillCreene Posts: 12
    Thanks for the welcome. That would be great Marsha, I'm sure you have some great stories to share. I went to Dal too. Would be great to meet!