New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

How do you keep fit on and off the ship?

JoJo BeattieJoJo Beattie Posts: 7
Hey all,

A health blogger is interested in writing about how our volunteers keep fit onboard the Africa Mercy and in the countries they visit. I'd love to hear from current volunteers and alumni how you keep fit (and have fun wink) on and off the ship. If you're okay with me using your name and country you're from, please confirm. Thanks!

JoJo

Comments

• BrianBlackburnBrianBlackburn Posts: 26
    Run on the dock!
  • I run on the dock, but super early in the morning because it starts getting too hot after 7am! 

On the days I don't run I do some yoga and stretching in my cabin, and also have some small 2lb weights I use.

There is a body pump workout class that meets three times a week in the morning and some crew have started a crossfit club on the dock.

(Fine to use name and nationality) 
  • SaulLoubassaSaulLoubassa Posts: 7
    I play soccer on the dock with other crew members every Monday and Wednesday. I also use a small wondercore fitness machine that I have in our cabin and also go to the gym here on the ship sometimes when there is less people or no body, because the gym is too small and it can get crowned quickly.

Some people play volleyball, and/or frisbee on the dock as well. 

saul Loubassa

(It's ok to use my name and country)
  • Donovan PalmerDonovan Palmer - Current Staff Posts: 17 - Current Staff
    At sea I do a loop through the ship, starting on deck 7, walk all the way aft, take the stairs down to deck 3, walk all the way forward, climb the stairs to deck 7 and repeat. :)
  • Dianna CashDianna Cash Posts: 11
    KJ already mentioned running on the dock and the fitness class...those are definitely my top 2 methods of exercise.  There is also a small (small, small!) space on Deck 2 with 2 exercise bikes, a treadmill and a rowing machine...those are good options if it's raining or you just want to change it up a bit. 

I've also learned quite a bit about just how many exercises can be done in a small space -- it's pretty amazing the muscles that can get worked in an area large enough for jumping jacks, push-ups and sit-ups (googilng "exercises for small spaces" was helpful when I first came onboard!).  

Jumping rope, swimming in the pool, walking the stairs...other good options.  

My FAVORITE form of exercise is affectionately known as "Frisbee Friday" - in every country we've been in, we've figured out a way to play ultimate frisbee on Friday afternoons,  In most countries it's meant loading up in cars and heading to a local field.  Here in Benin we've been playing on the dock.  

(it's fine to use my name and nationality!)
  • Volleyball on the dock! :-)

We play Tuesdays and Thursdays and sometimes also on weekends.
  • WillCreeneWillCreene Posts: 12

Dianna Cash:

KJ already mentioned running on the dock and the fitness class...those are definitely my top 2 methods of exercise.  There is also a small (small, small!) space on Deck 2 with 2 exercise bikes, a treadmill and a rowing machine...those are good options if it's raining or you just want to change it up a bit.

Is this the extent of the gym on board? I am hoping to volunteer and fitness (mainly lifting weights) is a big part of my life. I'm glad this question was asked because I am interested in this too!
  • Dianna CashDianna Cash Posts: 11
    Will, you'll be happy to hear that there are weights onboard.  In the room next door to the bikes and rowing machine are a variety of weights that I know little to nothing about.  I thought about taking a picture for you, but I think it's something people have to experience for themselves.  Just know that, for people interested in lifting weights, weights are available to be lifted! Hope to have you onboard someday soon!  
  • ErinWoodcoxErinWoodcox Posts: 1
    As mentioned by a few others, running on the dock (in Benin) was great for me!  I preferred after it got dark in the evenings, say around 20h.  There is the treadmill in case it rains, and there are plenty of spaces on deck 7 or 8 to do a workout in one spot.