New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Head Receptionist

Hello,

My name is Nicole. I was just accepted as the Head Receptionist. I was wondering what a typical day looks like? Thanks! I look forward to joining the ship.

Comments

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 99
    Hi Nicole,

Great news! Looking forward to having you join us on board the Africa Mercy!

The Reception team are responsible for many important things, including our emergency response. You will be trained on how to look after the emergency fire panel as well as being the center of the unverse for a lot of requests & needs that people have. You will get to meet everyone & often see the patients walking past so you can welcome them in with a smile!

I will ask one of the Receptionists to give you more detail.

Have fun preparing to come join us in serving the people of Benin. Every position on board the Ship is really important & we're really pleased you're coming to help!

Ally

Africa Mercy HR Director
  • Thank you for the information and quick response. 

Nicole
  • heatherpetersonheatherpeterson Posts: 88 admin
    Nicole, 

We're looking forward to meeting you at On Boarding before you head for the Africa Mercy!

This is from a different post, but I remember seeing it a while back and think it might be helpful for you!

Cheyenne Garcia:
    Hi Daniela!
    I am a duty receptionist currently onboard the beautiful Africa Mercy! I am happy to hear of your interest in serving onboard. I have been serving onboard for nine months now... the first three months were as a Hostess and when I extended my stay I was asked to fill a need in Reception. So, I have been in the role of duty receptionist for six months now and I can tell you that both jobs are wonderful! You have already received some very good and informative information about Hospitality so I will venture to share with you about Reception...

In the receptionist role you will work alongside hospitality with crew embarkations and disembarkations. In reception you are the other "First face" for new crew and that is an amazing blessing! As you were told by Tabitha and Katie being the first face for the new crew and guests is a special opportunity to show Jesus' love and to make the crew feel at ease and at home. Reception is right at the top of the gangway so you will see everyone as they come and go! Including the crew, guests, day-crew, patients, patients' family, and visitors! Reception is a quiet place but it is also a place of crossroads as people pass frequently, so you are the constant face of greetings and smiles... 

Okay, so now to explain about the work :)... The duty receptionist will process the paperwork for new crew and guests and give emergency information when they first come onboard, you will also process documents when people disembark, you will keep the phone lists, key logs, and muster lists (Crew lists for emergencies/drills) updated. You will print badges for crew, guests, and day-crew. You will help to maintain the vehicle folders, do many radio checks for vehicle radios and to maintain contact with the duty officer, you will answer the main phone and direct calls... and most importantly you will be in charge of the fire panel and the 911 emergency phone. Reception is muster control which means that we are a huge part of the technical team; responsible for the safety of our crew, guests, patients, and day-crew... We work three shifts as there must be a receptionist at the desk at all times, in the event of a fire or emergency... There are many differing jobs associated with reception so it is difficult to explain everything that you will do, but some other tasks include: laminating, taking passport photos, keeping our noticeboards (Screens around the ship with information for crew) updated, doing overhead announcements as required, and accounting for all crew at curfew. 

There are many things to learn in reception and I have been very grateful for having the opportunity to serve in this capacity for these six months and I believe that you will be blessed in whichever position you choose. The true blessing for all of us is the opportunity to be God's hands and feet in the countries where we serve to the beautiful people that we can share God's heart with... 
    Many blessings from Madagascar!
       ~ Cheyenne Garcia, Receptionist

• Donovan PalmerDonovan Palmer Posts: 17 - Current Staff
    My office was right near reception and in addition to the excellent answers you will get here, I can tell you that it is one of the most dynamic areas of the ship... no two days are alike and it is the cross roads for pretty much everything!  Welcome to the team!
  • Thank you all for the information. I'm very excited for next year. 
  • JanineBoyesJanineBoyes Posts: 2
    Hiya Nicole

I am the Purser on board and I oversee the Head Receptionist and the Reception team. I was very glad to hear that you are coming to join the team as the Head Receptionist.

I see that Heather copied Cheyenne's post above. Cheyenne has described the Receptionist role pretty well and I don't think I can add too much to her description.

As Head Receptionist you will be responsible for overseeing the Reception Team on a day to day basis. It is very hands on. This is a key role that can be very rewarding and where you can  reallymake a difference.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

Janine
  • Thank you! I look forward to meeting you.