New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

What's it like for older teens?

What's it like for older teens - e.g. aged 16 and 18 on board? For example, would an 18-year old be expected to take on a role as they are considered an adult? Would the 16-year old continue studies or participate in another way? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi Galvin,

Great questions!

Typically an 18-year old would come in their own role with a full application - apart from the Academy, and likely would live in a separate cabin for singles, not in the family cabin. If they are an 18-year old in their junior or senior year of high school, it can be very challenging to transition into our Academy those last years, as sometimes the courses we have to offer don't align with the credits they still need to graduate. For example, science courses alternate year to year, but if we only have one year of instruction and the student needs Chemistry (just an example) - we may not be able to support them in this. 

This dilemma is also true for older teens around age 16, though not impossible. It is something we would look at on a case-by-case basis. We have a wonderful academy on board and their top priority is student success!

While a 16-year old wouldn't have a full-time role on board, there are opportunities to get involved in other ways. 

I'll ask one of our fabulous academy staff to add on if I missed anything!

Hope this helps. 

• Galvin,

In order to answer your particular questions, we would need to know more about your situation.  In order to graduate from the Academy on the Africa Mercy, there are certain graduation requirements and older students need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis so that they can graduate on time. All students on the ship can participate in ministry activities on the weekends and after hours.  Being a student on the Africa Mercy is a full-time position.   Please email me directly at [email protected] and we can discuss your particular situation.