New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Navigating STCW Manila 2010 amendments

On January 1st, 2017, the "2010 Manila Amendments" to the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) will take full effect.

As a consequence, many seafarers are facing the need to take refresher training in certain basic safety courses.  If no approved refresher course is available, they are faced with taking the full course over again, from Basic Training (formerly known as 'BST'), Advanced Firefighting, Proficiency in Survival Craft, Fast Rescue Boat and others.

In addition, officers are required to take certain management courses, depending on their discipline (Deck or Engineering) and their level of license.

I'm curious to hear from those of you who are certificated seafarers, what has been your experience with meeting these requirements?  Any tips or 'hacks'? Any 'never again's?

Comments

• John BorrowJohn Borrow Posts: 4
    Hi Jon,

I would say it greatly depends on your home country. For Australia, and I expect the majority of Western maritime nations, there was no choice but to fly home and do the required courses.

It's disappointing that in 2016 the maritime nations cannot co-ordinate and standardise STCW training courses, so that a seafarer can fly to the nearest approved training centre to do the courses.

But that's just my 2 cents worth !

John