New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Orientation

What will I be told when I get on board?

How will I know where to go?

Who tells me what it's like living on a ship?!

As a new Crew member, you will have lots & lots of questions. Stepping into the unknown of living on a ship with 400 other poeple from over 30 different nations & 100 different cultures can be an interesting journey of discovery!

Your HR team is here to help with all of that, together with the Hospitality team who will be the first ones to welcome you when you step on board.

You will be shown to your cabin by Hospitality who will also give you a full tour of the ship within the first 24 hours.

Then, on the first Monday morning of your stay, the Human Resources team will invite you to a full orientation to ship life, including the Crew Clinic, staying safe on the ship, staying safe in the city & a few good to know / need to knows about ship life. This is called 'New Crew Orientation' and is mandatory for everyone service for the first time (or serving for the first time in over 12 months).

Our Staff Development team then take over & will deliver a program called 'Equipping to Serve', which will give you an introduction to the history of Mercy Ships & the country we are in, as well as some cultural awareness training, specifically adapted to the country we are in. This is mandataory training for everyone serving over 2 months, but is open to anyone.

Our Chaplaincy team is also on board to provide support to every Crew member. If you have any questions about ship life, you can ask any of the people you meet on board, specifically in Hospitality, HR & Chaplaincy who will be most happy to assist you. It is our pleasure to make sure that everybody knows where everything is to make your time on board as good as it can be.

Please ask if you have any questions about your initial orientation on board. We will do our best to tell you everything you need to know. Might be a good idea to bring a pen & a notepad!

Ally Jones

HR Director
Africa Mercy

Comments