New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Special Project Positions

Hello, My name is Doug Thomas and I have been accepted for the Special Project position this summer in Durban. I'm sure others would be as interested as I am in additional information about the Special Project positions.  
  • What are some of the main projects that have been accomplished during the past few yard periods?  
  • Do most crew join in and help with projects during the yard period?  
  • How many Special Project positions are available during a normal yard period?
  • Do the Special Project volunteers who come help reduce the number of shipyard contractors that are required to be hired?
Any more general information about the normal yard period maintenance and the Special Project position would be helpful.

I am very excited about being able to come help with the maintenance during your time in Durban!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Doug

Comments

• JimPatersonJimPaterson Posts: 1
    Hi Doug,

Thank you for your interest in special projects. Our Superintendent in charge of Secial Projects is out of the office at the moment but let me try to answer some of your questions.

We have worked on many varied projects in past yard periods such as renovations in the galley including new walk in coolers, new flooring in parts of the hospital, running cabling for new pieces of equipment such as radars, rearranging bulkheads to create more efficient spaces,  replacing worn out cooling coils in the airconditioning system, etc. etc.

Many crew take the time to go home to connect with family and supporters during this period or take needed training courses.

I don't know an exact number but we usually have about 20 or so people.

Yes, definately. If we don't get enough Special Project Volunteers then we would have to contract more of these jobs out to shipyard.

It is a special time for the team, great relationships are formed and although the work is hard, most folk really enjoy it. It is not the best location in Durban but every effort is made to try to get the team ashore at least once a week to enjoy what Durban has to offer.

Bless you!

Jim Paterson
  • DougThomasDougThomas Posts: 3
    Thanks Jim for the reply.  That is helpful and encouraging!  I'll be staying for 30 days.  Wish I could stay for longer.  :)

Doug