New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Public Speaking Tips

allisonholiskiallisonholiski International Support CenterPosts: 52 admin
Share your favorite public speaking tips below!

Comments

• allisonholiskiallisonholiski International Support CenterPosts: 52 admin
    "The most engaging speakers do a superb job of very quickly introducing the topic, explaining why they care so deeply about it, and convincing the audience members that they should, too."

HBR: How to Give a Killer Presentation

https://hbr.org/2013/06/how-to-give-a-killer-presentation

P.S. Don't miss the "10 Ways to Ruin a Presentation" sidebar!
  • I've been acting in some capacity since age 6, so public speaking never quite struck the same fear in my heart as some of my peers. However, auditions, interviews, and things of that nature still freak me out! A tip that I always thought was somewhat silly was to take a deep breath in through your nose, and out through your mouth, and try to breathe in and out in a ten second count each time. Then I tried it... it really works! It helps slow your heart rate, which helps you relax. I do this before I go in for an interview or audition, or when I need to public speak and am feeling a twinge of stage fright :)
  • Jon FadelyJon Fadely Posts: 8
    Learn about your audience.  The more you know about the people who will hear you, the better you can adapt your message to suit them.  Remember, it's not what you say that counts, it's what your audience hears . . . and remembers!