New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

applying process

Hi I applied today to volunteer as a cook or baker. I will not be ready to go for 10- 12 months. Do you think I should reapply in 5 months or continue with my application now. Are you usually in need of Cooks or Bakers, I can also do front of the house work to, but I cook & bake pretty well.

Also I have been working a privately owned mega yacht for 16 years. We move constantly. I am never in one place long enought to have a spiritual leader? How or where could I get one? I am now in the Bahamas for 3 weeks then our boat head to the Caribbean for the rest of winter. The summer we will be in the Great lakes. Do you think there is some one online? I know that sounds silly but I think it is may be my only option.

Many Thanks

Pamela McGrath

Comments

• TesseLovelessTesseLoveless Talent Brand Manager Posts: 90 admin
    Pamela,

Hello! I'm Tesse, and I handle the recruitment for the non-medical positions onboard the Africa Mercy. Thank you for applying to volunteer with us!

I see that you've started an application with us. It is completely acceptable that you will not be able to serve for 10-12 months - this is common for many of our volunteers. We will process your application based on your available service dates, and if accepted, we can reserve your position for you for those dates. You've come to the right place - MyMercy is designed to encourage you to remain engaged and informed with the work that we're doing, and to allow you to network with current/future crew. 

Wow, it sounds like you have a neat job! We understand why it would be difficult to have a spiritual reference. We do accept alternative references - for example, if you have a mentor that you respect, they can stand in as a reference. I can explain this more if needed. 

Thanks again, Pam. You can reach me directly at [email protected] if you'd like. 

Regards. 

Tesse 
  • I also had a similar question. Serving on the Mercy Africa Ships has been a life goal of mine since I was 16 and I have reserved applying because I don't have the requirements just yet. I will have 2 years of RN experience next year. Now I am getting married this summer and my husband is a high school teacher, but he won't have two years of experience this upcoming year. However there is currently a position for high school social studies teacher and that is exactly what he is interested in. But I am wanting to apply so that we can make sure that we can get these positions in 2 years. Wondering what advice you can give me? I'm just so excited to join this team that I want to come aboard right now :)