New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Prospective Volunteer

Hi everyone! My name is Alexa Gulker and I am hoping to be a volunteer starting in the fall of 2017. I know that it seems like a long ways a way, but volunteering on this ship has been on my "bucket list" since I was in high school. I am a new grad nurse as of May and have been working in our local hospital here in the Midwest every since. I really hope it works out to join this team!

Comments

• KellyGrizzardKellyGrizzard Posts: 119
    Alexa,  Kelly here.  I am in Human Resources and I build Relationships with Churches.  If you should find yourself sharing in a church about your upcoming experience let me know.

It may just be to a Sunday School class of 2 or 3 either way I might be able to send you some material to help you along.  If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Kelly
  • allisonholiskiallisonholiski International Support CenterPosts: 52 admin
    Alexa, thanks for your interest in volunteering with Mercy Ships! We're excited that you're staying in touch with us through myMercy until the time is right for you to serve. Be sure to connect with our Medical Recruiter, Craig Sharver. He can be an incredible resource for you! 
  • Hi Alexa,

Serving on the ship is an amazing experience. I served for 2 months in a surgical ward. I have 29 years nursing experience but even with 2 years you will be fine. Just do what i did -stay excited -i saved money and asked questions and raved about and promoted Mercy Ships for 2 years before i finally went -then i did it- I caught the plane from Australia to Joburg, then stayed in a hotel then traveled by bus to Madagascar. left hubby behind to look after the homefront and the rest is history-i hope to serve again one day. It will come around quicker thatn you think. There are skills you can learn while waiting like IV Cannulation is helpful if you haven't already done it. I guess it depends which area of nursing you hope to apply for: wards or OT or Admissions.

Anyway gotta go-hang in there Alexis and enjoy the amazing journey ahead

God bless

Louise Weston