New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

New/Accepted for volunteer Jan-March, 2016

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Pauline (or Paula) and I am a nurse from the northeast USA. I've been a travel nurse since 2013, a nurse since 2011. I'll be joining the ship from Jan 10-March 5, 2016 and I'm very excited. I've heard many good things about Mercy Ships, including people returning or wanting to return and people who wished they could have served longer.

I have always wanted to do a medical mission trip, looooong before I became a nurse. I was born with cleft lip & palate and have had about 15 surgeries myself from about 6 weeks until I was about 18 years old. Though I will be an Adult Ward Nurse, I hope I will be able to go to pediatrics and at least interact with a cleft child, if there are any when I serve. I think there is a general understanding across language and cultures.

I am also looking forward to meeting new people, on and off the ship. Eager to get to know the culture.

Any tips, from those that have served, interms of common language statements/words/questions or anything else that you care to share?

Thanks,

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Pauline (Paula)

Comments

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 114 ✭✭
    We are looking forward to welcoming you in January, Pauline!

I'm not medical myself so I will leave that to the professionals, but I'm sure you will have a great time interacting with the patients & your colleagues. The Hospital is a special place!
  • TesseLovelessTesseLoveless Talent Brand Manager Posts: 91 admin
     Paula,

Hello! I'm Tesse, and I work in the Recruitment department state-side. I just wanted to say "welcome!" - we're glad you're joining Mercy Ships, and appreciate your service very much. :)

Sincerely,

Tesse Loveless

General Recruiter - IOC