New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Nurse Anesthetist

Good morning, My name is Peter Ogilvie and I am currently in school for a Doctorate in Nurse Anesthesia at Villanova University in the US and I graduate December 2022. I volunteered on D ward from sept 2017-Feb 2018 and the experience completely changed my life. I worked with Jonas K., Ryan and Mary Toupin Vivian, W., and several others. My goal is to eventually return to the ship and work/volunteer in the OR and possibly be involved with MCB. I have read the studies completed by Mercy Ships in the Lancet and their work with OR checklists and teaching and I would love to somehow be involved with any studies similar to those in the future. My question is, if I want to work in the OR with Mercy Ships, what would be my recommended course of action? Also is it possible to work/volunteer on the ship as a SRNA (Student Registered Nurse Anesthetist). Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Pete Ogilvie

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 202 admin

@PeterOgilvie

Hi Pete,

It's wonderful to hear that your time with Mercy Ships in 2017/2018 changed your life and that you were able to work alongside some of our other amazing volunteers, such as Jonas K., Ryan and Mary, Vivian, etc. I'm very pleased to hear that you would like to return.

In order to serve with Mercy Ships in the Operating Room as an Anesthetic Assistant, we do require that you have two years of experience as one of the following:

• Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Anesthetist
    • Registered Nurse with relevant Anesthesia Assistant experience
    • Anesthetic Technician
    • Registered Operating Department Practitioner or equivalent Anesthetic Assistant qualification

Unfortunately, a SRNA is not yet qualified to serve as an Anesthetic Assistant, unless you have two years of experience in one of the other areas listed.

Please let me know if this information is helpful, and feel free to reach out to us at any time to learn more.

Hope to have you onboard again!