New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Introducing myself

bensendthompsonbensendthompson Mechanical EngineerPosts: 3

Hello everyone, I just finished my application last week to volunteer 2 years as HVAC assistant, I am interested in many other rolls also but that was the one I settled on for now.

I grew up on a dairy farm in northern Wisconsin where my father and I also ran a barn machinery business, through which I learned how to troubleshoot machines rebuild gearboxes and poor concrete among other things. Then after reading a biography I learned about a Christian Engineering school in Texas where I felt called to go. While at LeTourneau University I learned a lot about Engineering as well as how I could use it to serve God, which was really exciting, one of the opportunities I learned about was Mercy ships which really caught my interest. But I was confident that I was supposed to pay off my school debt before embarking on something like that so I graduated and got an engineering job to pay it off. Now I am 3 years out of school and I am paid off and ready to go. Over my 3 years of work I have gotten a lot of experience in various technical fields from hydraulic control systems to hay baler knotter mechanisms to programming even a little bit of IT server management. Besides learning technical things, I have also seen God doing a lot of stretching and growing me in the past few years and he has been teaching me to rely on and find my identity in Him.

I am excited to get to know some of you who have been serving on the ships and I look forward to being accepted and getting the opportunity to serve on board.

God bless you.

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 213 admin

@bensendthompson

How awesome that you have paid off your college loans! Congratulations! Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships with your knowledge and experience. I hope it will work out for you to serve with us soon.

Many blessings!

• AliCuppAliCupp Posts: 27 - Current Staff

Great to meet you, @bensendthompson!

Thank you for applying to serve with Mercy Ships, we are so excited to have you here! Congratulations on paying off your student loans, what an accomplishment. We hope to welcome you onboard one day soon!