New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

I do not have a degree does that make me illegible to volunteer?

Hi,

My name is Anna. I am from the USA but grew up most of my childhood in Papua new Guinea as my parents were missionaries. I heard of the mercy ship coming near the coast once or one like it and thought it was fascinating. I later came back to the states and starting working at a assisted living and then changed my job as a senior home health aide. My goal is to become a nurse . I love helping people to know that I have increased their quality of life brings me joy.

I am not sure what role I could step in too help on the ship but I am a fast learner and a hard worker.

I do not have a degree currently . I understand that The goal is to give professional an compassionate care.

I do have a question on how long you can volunteer . As in what is the max and min volunteer time.

God bless you all as you serve people around the world.

Sincerly,

Anna

Answers

• katehopperkatehopper Posts: 1

Hi Anna,

Have you had a look through the volunteer opportunities https://apply.mercyships.org/CurrentOpportunities.aspx

There are a lot of positions that don't require qualifications like in the kitchen crew or hospitality team. Commitments vary depending on the role from a couple of weeks to years.

Also check out Carys Parker's videos on YouTube. She has been interviewing people from all different fields.

Not sure about nursing/carer roles but worth checking out.

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 104

Hi @annagade,

Good question. I don't have a degree either, and have enjoyed over six years of service with Mercy Ships!

As @katehopper suggested, take a look at the roles on offer at apply.mercyships.org and see what appeals to you. By filling out an application for a role that would suit you, you will be teamed up with one of our wonderful HR reps who can help you discover the best fit for you!

What are you interested in doing?