New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Being a Nurse on the Africa Mercy

SummerRosenbalmSummerRosenbalm Medical Staffing ManagerPosts: 37 - Current Staff
edited January 21 in Working Onboard - Medical

Interested in serving as a Ward Nurse on board the Africa Mercy?

Click here to watch a video that gives you an idea of what life is like as a Ward Nurse on board!

Have questions? Post them below!

Summer Rosenbalm

Medical Staffing Manager

Comments

• blesyn5555blesyn5555 Posts: 1

I'm interested in working with mercyships, but I'm having issues with my application, so how do I call for assistance.

• SummerRosenbalmSummerRosenbalm Medical Staffing Manager Posts: 37 - Current Staff

Hi @blesyn5555, I'm so happy to hear that you are interested in serving with us! Can you send me your name so that I can look into this?

• telikahowardtelikahoward Posts: 1

i dont know how to make a new thread here but im a lactation consultant and doula do you all help moms breastfeed or help with pregnancy/births?

• SummerRosenbalmSummerRosenbalm Medical Staffing Manager Posts: 37 - Current Staff

Hi @telikahoward, thanks for reaching out!

We do not assist with pregnancy/births on board. To see which surgeries and medical care solutions Mercy Ships does provide, you can click here.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be happy to help.

-Summer

• missi_1996missi_1996 Posts: 1

Hi I will be graduating from a LPN program in Canada soon. My plan is to work for 2 years and then apply for Mercy Ships. Are there restrictions of where I would be able to work and what do those include. In Manitoba LPN have the same scope of practice as RN in Manitoba.

Hi @missi_1996 , thank you for asking!

Most of our nursing roles require an RN, but there are few listed on the website that LPNs currently qualify for: Ophthalmic Scheduling Nurse, Ophthalmic Day Surgery Nurse, and Ophthalmic Day Surgery Coordinator.

Feel free to take a look at those on the website at apply.mercyships.org and let us know if you have any other questions. We're happy to help!

Kind regards,

Summer

• jaclynjanejaclynjane Posts: 1

Hi @SummerRosenbalm ,

I am a student nurse in the UK and my clinical placements have been in operating rooms and surgical wards as that is a particular area of interest to me. I'm wondering how many years work experience after qualifying I need before I can apply to volunteer as a scrub nurse on the mercy ship?

Thanks!

• katindo1990katindo1990 Posts: 1

I am a registered nurse working in zambia.i have five years working experience.

How can i join mercyships?

Have a look at my CV.

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 198 admin
    edited March 2

Hi @jaclynjane ,

We require two years of clinical experience before qualifying to serve with Mercy Ships as a nurse. We hope to see an application come in from you when you have the required experience.

Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships!

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 198 admin

Hi @katindo1990,

Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships and for sending your CV and copy of your license to us.

The best way to proceed is for you to apply online. One of the items required will be a Nurse Skills Checklist. Once we have this, we can better assess your skills and in which area you could potentially serve.

Again, thank you for your interest in serving with us. We hope to receive your online application soon.