New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

not sure if my experience will fit with Mercy Ship needs

I am an OR nurse, however, all my experience is with ENT (ambulatory surgery center) and some facial plastics.  I typically circulate, have rarely scrubbed and have a moderate amount of experience in pre-op and PACU.  I am wondering if my experience is too limited.  I am willing to learn and would love to be a part of such a wonderful mission!  

Comments

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 99
    Hi Theresa,

My name is Ally Jones, I am the Director of HR on board the Africa Mercy.

I will pass on your question to our recruitment / staffing team who will be able to answer your questions.

Thanks for checking us out!

Ally
  • DawnCrowtherDawnCrowther Surgical Staffing Manager Posts: 27 - Current Staff
    Hi Theresa,

Ally contacted me and I am happy to help you. My name is Dawn Crowther and I work in the Human Resources Department, located in Texas, as the Medical Staffing Mananger for the positions in our operating rooms. 

Those filling the OR Nurse positions are required to be able to both scrub and circulate. This is noted in the job description and I have attached that document for you.

Perhaps you may have just enough scrubbing experience for your application to be approved, but that decision will be up the Hospital Review Team as they look at the clinical skills of each applicant. If you were to come then it could be that most of your time would be to circulate, but that would be decided by the OR Manager. If you are able to have addtional experience before applying, then I do believe that could be an assest. We do some ENT cases, but this coming year (Sept 2015 - May 2016) most of the cases will be maxillofacial, plastics, VVF, General and some pedi ortho and ENT. A list of our typical procedures is posted online at: http://volunteer.mercyships.org/volunteer/volunteer-faqs/ 

Please do let me know if you have additional questions. Feel free to respond here or email me at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Dawn
  • I am sure you can go as an OR Nurse, because you have small experience like in plastic surgery, or as well in Pacu, just ask the cheif OR Nurse