New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Anyone here have experience with serving on Mercy Ship as a palliative Care nurse?

I’m in the process of applying for Palliative Care nurse and trying to get an idea of what to expect and prepare for. If I’m accepted this would be my first time practicing in a foreign country.

Answers

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 184 admin

@sekina-83

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships! The Palliative Care department is currently quite small, consisting of the Palliative Care Nurse Team Leader and one Palliative Care Nurse.

Our palliative care team is there to bring hope and healing to those who are terminally ill, who are unable to be helped by safe surgery. They offer health care services, training, and spiritual & emotional support to these patients as well as their families. We actually require that our Palliative Care Nurses have experience working outside of their own culture, preferably in Africa. Unfortunately, unless you have such experience, you would not currently qualify to serve on the Palliative Care Team. I'm truly sorry for any disappointment this may cause. We do have other roles for which you may qualify, but not on the Palliative Care Team.