New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

volunteering for Liberia

I will be making my 4th trip to Mercyships in February. I would like to volunteer for Liberia next year. I am basically available almost any time except over the thanksgiving holiday week. I usually work in general surgery or ophthalmic surgery when I am there. Thank you for your consideration

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 198 admin

Hi Tom,

Our staffing surveys went out over the weekend. You should have received one. Please complete the survey with your dates of availability for the Liberia Field Service. If you haven't received it yet, please check your spam folder. If it isn't there, please let me know right away. Thank you for your upcoming service in Senegal!

• brookbankbrookbank Posts: 4

Hello! I was accepted in March2019 for the hostess position and put in the talent pool. I would REALLY like to serve in this up coming trip to Liberia. How likely is it that I will be scheduled?

@brookbank

Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships! I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I have asked one of our General Staffing team members to let you know. I hope it will work out for you.

Okay, thank you so much! I look forward to hearing from one of them.

• TraceyBartulaTraceyBartula Posts: 10

@brookbank Thank you so much for your continued interest in serving. My name is Tracey Bartula and I am the General Staffing Manager. We have changed the name of the role from Hostess to Hospitality Staff, just fyi :) Currently, our next availability for the Hospitality Staff role is 20 September 2020. I'll reach out to you through personal email with more information on serving in 2020-2021. Thank you again for reaching out and I look forward to working with you!

"Hospitality staff" okay, good to know. Thank you,Tracy:) Also, thank you for keeping me posted! I do not want to be a pest, but I do very much want to serve aboard the Africa Mercy. Again, thank you so much!

• AnnieYohannanAnnieYohannan Posts: 1

Hi there, I wondered if there was a country specific guide book for Liberia please?

I did a search and could only find one on Senegal. I am keen to find out a bit more about Liberia and information on the internet is quite limited. I am hoping to serve in 2021 in Liberia, God willing

Thanks so much:-)

Cheers

Annie

@AnnieYohannan

Hi Annie,

Thank you for your interest in serving with Mercy Ships!

There will be a country specific guidebook for Liberia soon. There is quite a bit of research that goes into creating our guidebooks for each individual nation where we serve, and they are usually completed closer to the start of the actual field service. If you continue to check in regularly, it will be posted eventually.

If you have any specific questions regarding Liberia in the meantime, please post them here, and we will do our best to provide you with the information we have.

I hope it will work out for you to serve with us in Liberia!

• CatherineLloydCatherineLloyd Posts: 6

Hi I am wondering when the staffing for Liberia will be decided? I am waiting in the talent Pool, I have submitted my survey. Thanks

• JohnDragoJohnDrago Posts: 3

Greetings, I recently returned from Senegal and am interested in volunteering for Liberia. I sent my survey in last month but have not heard anything and was wondering when the staffing will be decided. Really enjoyed my trip to Senegal, thanks!

@CatherineLloyd and @JohnDrago

Hi Catherine and John,

I am in the process of compiling all the survey results for our programmatic staffing, which is all medical and surgical positions. Once these are completed, they are sent to the appropriate department heads for them to let us know to whom we should offer dates, and who will not initially be offered dates for Liberia. This process will take a few weeks. You can expect to receive news one way or another around the beginning of March. I hope this is helpful.

If yo have any further questions while you wait, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• abayelimeabayelime Posts: 3

Can a Ghanaian work in Liberia as a day crew volunteer?

Erik.

• JohnDragoJohnDrago Posts: 3

Thanks for the update, looking forward to serving again soon.

@JohnDrago and @CatherineLloyd Just want to let you know it will be closer to the end of March before you hear anything regarding whether or not you will be offered dates to serve in Liberia. Stay tuned, and thank you for your patience.

• konikonikonikoni Posts: 1

Hello Andrea,

Sorry if you are not the right person to contact for medical conditions but I need help.I live in Guinea Conakry and kid Bogola 6 years has right feet and hand deformation that prevents him from walking/taking normally.

A friend nurse who worked on your ship while you were in Guinea told me you solved similar malformation. I wanted to kwo if I travel to MercyShip current our next destination Bogola's case could be examined.Thanks.

• kanzanetkanzanet Posts: 1

Hello! I was accepted in November 2019 for General Supply Assistant position and put in the talent pool. I would REALLY like to serve in this up coming trip to Liberia. How likely is it that I will be scheduled?

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 108

Hi @kanzanet,

Thanks for your question. While we have had to scale back our programs during this pandemic, we are eager to do even more in the future, once the immediate COVID-19 situation allows. The Talent Pool is the best place to be right now, so please keep an eye our for updates from the HR team. We hope to see you on board before too long!