New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Clothing question !

Hi everyone ! I’ll be serving as a ward nurse starting October 6th ! I cannot wait to meet everyone :) I’m wondering if anyone is able to give me an example of the kind of clothes they find themselves wearing most of the time while on the ship? I’m trying to pack minimally but the dress code has me a little confused. I can’t tell if I should bring more casual clothes than fancier ones. Im trying to only bring the necessities. 

Thank you !

Mal

Comments

• heatherpetersonheatherpeterson Director of Staffing Posts: 92 admin
    edited September 2019

Hi @mallorysims ,

We have a Pinterest page (https://www.pinterest.com/mercyshipsdresscode) that includes examples of appropriate & typical clothing for both men and women. It's pretty casual onboard. The only time you'll need something on the fancier side would be for church or for special functions onboard. I'd recommend bringing at least one dressy outfit with you.

Let us know if you have any other questions as you prepare to go!

-Heather

• lauriannaerblauriannaerb Posts: 4
    edited September 2019

Hey @mallorysims!!

So excited you get to join us on board soon!

I found when I came that I packed way too many skirts and dressy clothes. Although I wear more casual skirts into town, I have a few pairs of loose-fitting pants and sweatpants that I wear around the ship. I brought a few t-shirts, although I find myself wearing my solid color shirts more, especially because they go better with the fabrics I bought at the markets and had made into skirts here! (I recommend bringing a pair of spandex or shorts you can wear under skirts because it is hot and you will sweat!)

Another thing I did was brought clothes I didn't necessarily mind leaving here when I head home. There is a boutique on board where you can leave old clothes (or get new ones if you need something). By bringing stuff I didn't care as much about, I have room to bring home some of the clothes I had tailored.

(I also suggest bringing a sweater or something warmer you can throw on over any of your outfits.)

Definitely bring at least one dressy outfit.

And also, I recommend bringing at least one pair of nice shoes, a pair of sandals or something for walking/the beach, and tennis shoes for sure.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, let me know!

Laurianna

• Thank you both for your helpful comments ! Heather, as far as a dressy outfit, would a maxi- tshirt dress count as dressy? I am 6 feet tall so I am mostly bringing maxi skirt/dresses in order to meet dress code !

Laurianna, with the nice shoes, do these need to be close-toed?

I really appreciate your help!!

Mal