New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

How much are crew fees for dental volunteer who come for 2 weeks?

I am a Dental Hygienist and I have served on the Anastasis back in the 1990s.  I am going to share with some Dental Hygiene students about alternative job settings and want to give them some information about volunteering on the African Mercy.  I know they need to have some work experience, but what other information can you give me to share with them.  I have one the Video from the Anastasis days, and I was not sure how to get an updated version with the African Mercy.  I am also interested in finding out about how the staff dental clinic works.  Do you have a staff dental clinic on the ship?  Where is the dental clinic going to be for the people of Sengual?  How much does it cost to volunteer for 2 weeks?

Answers

• mitchelgmitchelg Engagement Coordinator Posts: 31 admin

Thank you @maryann.stotts53 for sharing about Mercy Ships.! You have some excellent questions. I will reach out medical recruiter to help answer your questions and they should be in touch with you shortly. Thanks again!

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 132 admin

@maryann.stotts53

Hi! It's wonderful that you volunteered with Mercy Ships on the Anastasis and that you want to give some Dental Hygiene students information on how to serve with us.

In order to serve with Mercy Ships as a Dental Hygienist, the following requirements must be met:

1. One year of clinical experience
    2. Practicing Dental Hygienist with current and active license
    3. Ability to provide anaesthetic to patients as needed

There are quite a few videos to view on Youtube. That is the best place to look for videos in my opinion.

For Senegal, the Dental Clinic is located about an hour from the Africa Mercy, so the dental team will be living and working off-ship. However, we do have opportunities to serve in the Crew Dental Clinic. The Crew Dental Hygienist position is filled for Senegal.

Crew fees for one month are US $700, so for two weeks, they will be around US $350.

I hope this is helpful. For more in-depth information regarding the Dental Clinic in Senegal, please check out these blogs: https://mymercy.mercyships.org/discussion/1113/you-ask-whats-happening-with-the-dental-clinic-in-senegal#latest and https://mymercy.mercyships.org/discussion/1226/dental-team-house-information#latest

Thanks again for all you are doing to promote the work of Mercy Ships!