New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

What to bring?

bscharrnbscharrn Posts: 4

Hi there,

I will be heading to Senegal as an outpatient nurse in just a few weeks and I am so excited! For those of you who have experience with Mercy ships - what is something you wish you had brought with you? Or what is something that you are so glad you brought with? I will be there for 2 months and thinking of all the things is tough! Haha. Thank you in advance!

Bethany

Comments

• tael2019tael2019 Mr Posts: 8

l don't know anythting about , no experience

l wish you a good journey there

You are blessed indeed!

Abba father!

• CynthiaHarrisCynthiaHarris Posts: 16 - Current Staff

@bscharm

Bethany,

I haven't experienced travel with Mercy Ships to date but I recently came across some resources that might be helpful to you:

In reference to what clothes to pack – here is a link, the clothes packing starts about 15 seconds into video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peOC4wpRnog&t=1s

This information below is from an Alumni Mercy Shipper; written to be helpful when packing to come as a long term volunteer. You definitely don't need everything on this list for a short time of service, but it might be helpful to you to see it and think about what your own needs are. 

https://mymercy.mercyships.org/discussion/247/packing-for-the-afm-tips-from-a-crew-member

I hope these give you some guidance and generate ideas. Thank you for serving in bringing hope and healing. I hope you also get feedback from other volunteers!

Cynthia Harris

Administrative Assistant

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 122 admin

@bscharrn Thank you for being one of our amazing volunteers! Cynthia sent you a couple of links to very helpful resources. If you have any further questions as you prepare to serve, please don't hesitate to post them.

• bscharrnbscharrn Posts: 4

Thank you so much for this information and encouragement :)

• TeniahHowellTeniahHowell Posts: 13

Hi, Bethany. I haven't been yet either, so can't answer your question, but I did want to touch base and see if you would be willing to make a post after you get there! I am also coming as outpatient nurse, but not until December. I would love it so much if you would post about your experience in that position and what things you took or recommend to take once you have been in the position for a bit. All the very best to you as you prepare for your trip, and I am sure it will be an amazing experience!

• TaraNortonTaraNorton Posts: 7

Hi Bethany,

I served as an admissions nurse last October to December in Guinea. I am happy to answer any last minute questions you may have. I am also leaving to return in 2 weeks time for 3 months.

Things I appreciated having- hooks, magnetic baskets (space is at a minimum), a back pack for weekend trips, a light jacket for inside the boat sometimes, hardy clothes because the washer/dryers and the humidity are hard on clothes.

Things I wish I had taken - a good moisturiser (the humidity, water and AC on the boat dry your skin), a good hair treatment as my hair was crispy by the end from the hard water and humidity), a second pair of good walking sandals as my good pair died around week 9 just from the heat/humidity, a second dress for visits to the HOPE centre, orphanages and churches as all my photos I am wearing the same thing (hehe), more clothes that I could leave for either long term staff or the day crew, presents for the day crew I worked with (I will be taking something for them this time as they are worth their weight in gold and my 5 day crew were the best in Guinea!!!).

Happy to answer anything else though!

Regards

Tara

• CynthiaHarrisCynthiaHarris Posts: 16 - Current Staff

@TaraNorton

What practical and helpful suggestions, Tara! You have a very giving spirit thinking about what clothes you could bring to leave behind for others. :) And your gratitude and desire to give gifts to the day crew are very special. Thank you for your willingness to bring hope and healing in Guinea and I hope your Senegal service brings you even more joy!

Cynthia Harris