New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Anaesthetic Assistant arriving in September 2019

Hi everyone

Greetings, my name is Sam and I currently work in Melbourne, Australia. I am originally from the UK and have lived in Melbourne for 11 yrs, even though initially my husband and I said it would be 2 yrs! We love Melbourne, and I especially love my job as an anaesthetic assistant at Sandringham Hospital, which is part of The Alfred Health. My job includes call overnight and usually for delivering babies, which I absolutely never tire of, its an absolute joy and wonder to be involved in the birth of a new baby.

I will be carrying out my service at the beginning of September and I am setting off from Melbourne on the 6th September, and will be with the Mercy Ship until the 28th September. If anyone is travelling at the same time it would be great to have a travel buddy, so please let me know.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting lots of new people and being a part of the great work that the Mercy Ship provides. I also enjoy run/walking and will hopefully be making friends along the way on the dock..😀

Sam

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 123 admin

@eddisons Hi Sam! How exciting that you will be joining our crew in Senegal! I hope your time onboard is very rewarding. Thank you for being one of our amazing volunteers.

• jaxie_ryan87jaxie_ryan87 Surgical Placement Facilitator Posts: 18

@eddisons Hi Sam! It is so lovely to get to know you a little better. I am so happy that you are excited to serve in Senegal. My name is Jaxie and I am your Surgical Placement Facilitator. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. I am always happy to help. Thank you for being one of our amazing volunteers! :)

• eddisonseddisons Posts: 5

Hi Jaxie & Andrea

Thank you for your kind words and support.

• HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 69 ✭✭

@eddisons My name is Hannah Mulvihill and I work in the UK Mercy Ships office and look after all our crew going from the UK and Ireland. If you have any donors in the UK contributing to your service, please make sure they claim gift aid on their gifts as this ensures you get an extra 25% on your donation. If you have any further questions from a UK perspective then do let me know.

@MelissaMason is your Crew Support in Australia and can assist you in fundraising and supporting you through your time in getting ready to serve, when you're onboard and when you come home!

Thank you so much for volunteering with us, we appreciate you :)

• PERMILADEVIRAMPERMILADEVIRAM Posts: 11

Hi Sam, my name is Permila and I have been working as Anaesthetic and PACU Nurse in Australia. I'm originally from New Zealand but born in Fiji Island. I would love to hear how your trip went and all about the work as I will be going to Senegal from December to February.

Also if you could show me what anaesthetic machine they use and how you found the work there compared to Australia.

My email address is [email protected] and mobile +61449059403.

Blessings -:)

• DawnCrowtherDawnCrowther Surgical Staffing Manager Posts: 25 - Current Staff

@eddisons Hi Sam, I hope your final preparations for your travel to and time on the Africa Mercy are going well! Here is one idea to connect with a travel buddy, if you don't have one yet. There is an AFM Arrivals and Departures List on Navigator. There, you will be able to see if there are others on your flight and then you could see if they are in myMercy and send them a message. About 2 weeks, maybe 1 week, prior to one's arrival, the name and flight details of incoming crew will be added to the list. When you log on to Navigator, go this Link. The list is on the Purser's page.

Have an amazing time and thank you for serving. -@DawnCrowther