New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Malaria Medication?

I was wondering what malaria medication is used on board the ship? I will be on board for 10 months, so I won't be able to bring a full supply and I want to make sure that I can refill the same prescription on board that I receive before I leave. Is it recommended to take a malaria medication for that long of a time period also?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 141 admin

@annalouise Thank you for being one of our amazing volunteers! You should begin taking medication as prescribed before arriving and bring at least a three month supply of malaria prophylaxis with you. Mefloquine (Larium) and Doxycycline are available for refill through the ship-based pharmacy. If you elect to take a different anti-malarial (Malarone), you would be responsible to bring enough with you for the entire period of service. Remember, anti-malarial medications must be started before arrival in Africa and continued after departure. Ask your local doctor for details.  Hope this was helpful.

• mikekiki177mikekiki177 Posts: 4
    edited May 28
  • ChristabelleBrimpongChristabelleBrimpong Posts: 1

Do I need to take my Malaria tablets if I'm based in Las Palmas for July? Thanks.

@ChristabelleBrimpong Hi! No, you do not need to take malaria tablets if you are based in Las Palmas for the month of July. Thank you for checking!

• PERMILADEVIRAMPERMILADEVIRAM Posts: 12

Can you please confirm if I need to start Malaria treatment as well as Meningitis? Cheers

@PERMILADEVIRAM

You should begin taking medication as prescribed before arriving and bring enough of malaria prophylaxis with you for your full service, as well as whatever you need for when you return home. Remember, anti-malarial medications must be started before arrival in Africa and continued after departure. Ask your local doctor for details.  In regards to Meningitis, it is not required, but is highly recommended. Hope this was helpful.