New To myMercy? Click Here to read our "How To" guide!
To view current volunteer opportunities, Click Here!

Vaccine Timeline

stewbe99stewbe99 Posts: 3

Hello there I just received my offer letter and have setup an appointment to get my vaccines. Looking at the list it appears that the Hep B vaccine is a 6 month series. I am scheduled to start serving July 27th. Is this an issue?

I did get the vaccine as an infant and a quick google search reveals the vaccine should be good for 30+ years. I have emailed the medical staff and am awaiting a response but I imagine I can't be the first one to have this timeline issue...

Comments

• stewbe99stewbe99 Posts: 3

Forgot to mention I am a 29 year old male. Vaccinations are scheduled to start April 18th.

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 159 admin

Hi @stewbe99 ! Thank you for being one of our amazing volunteers! We look forward to your service with Mercy Ships.

Since you already had the Hep B vaccine when you were an infant, you should be able to get a blood titer to confirm immunity. I would look into that if I were you. Thank you for thinking about this and being proactive about it.

• writerappwriterapp Ms. Posts: 15

Hi @stewbe99 ,

I started my Hep A/B last week. It's a combined vaccine and a three-shot series over four-weeks and then a booster in 12 months.

The specific drug is called: Twinrix Suspension 720-20 intramuscular.

If you have immunity, you're golden.

With grace,

P

• VIRGINIASIMMONSVIRGINIASIMMONS Posts: 14

Hello!

I have also found some close timelines with the vaccine regimen and my departure, and was appalled at the cost. Total, it will come to about $600, with most obtained through my local county health department. I also wasted a 120 mile roundtrip to a travel clinic for the Yellow Fever vaccine and was told that I could not have it within 28 days of the other live vaccines started 10 days ago. It must be on the exact SAME day or 28 days after the last one, barely days in time for the deadline. The stress, cost, driving, time off work, is proving to be an absolute lesson in patience and calm for me. I would recommend that anyone waiting in the Talent Pool, to get started on the required vaccines. I hope this tidbit is helpful to other newbies.

Learning grace, Ginger S. :)

@VIRGINIASIMMONS I am so sorry to hear this has been a stressful experience for you! I hope all goes well from this point and that God will provide abundantly for you as you prepare to serve with Mercy Ships. Praying all goes well for you onboard and that your service will be an incredibly rewarding experience.

Thank you for the advice offered to others waiting in the Talent Pool. I completely understand where you are coming from. While vaccinations are a considerable expense and can be time-consuming, I would like to caution others waiting in the Talent Pool before moving forward with immunizations. Some vaccinations have an expiration date, and you could run into the situation they would expire before you are actually called upon to serve. It doesn't hurt to have the Yellow Fever vaccine, as it does not expire. In regards to some of the other immunizations, I would take into consideration the cost and potential expiration dates before proceeding.

• VIRGINIASIMMONSVIRGINIASIMMONS Posts: 14
    edited August 9

Thank you, Andrea.

I began the Hep A series, but was given 4 months by placement to complete the vaccine list and Hep A requires six months between shots, so I would have been in trouble if it was required for my position. I had no idea there were waits between shots and conflicts of application. I just wanted you to know that placement assignments do not regard vaccine timelines and that can fall badly for someone all excited to go. That is why I suggested some of these lifetime or long term vaccines be posted earlier to the Talent Pool.

Also, a young coworker gave me a brilliant tip. Walgreen's Pharmacy gives almost all the vaccines on the list and will bill one's insurance!

(The only vaccine around when I was a kid, was polio, so I was absent of and needed all, the Mercy vaccines.)

Blessings to all!

Ginger S.

@VIRGINIASIMMONS

Hi Ginger,

Thank you very much for your concern. I'll look into this.

That's wonderful about Walgreen's. Good to know.

Blessings!