Don't let jet lag drag you down!
Jet lag can range from mildly irritating to downright debilitating, depending on your body's tolerance for travel across time zones. Some have a harder time recovering than others.
Symptoms can include disturbed sleep, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, mood changes, stomach issues, and/or a general feeling of not being well.
Many of our volunteers must travel through several time zones to reach the ships' destinations. It's not always easy! Here are a few tricks to keep in mind before, during, and after you travel!
- Prepare at home before departing.
- Set your watch to your new timezone.
- Customize your sleep-wake rhythm
- Don't fill up on a lot of food.
- Drink a lot of water. Skip other beverages!
- Build some 'rest time' into your itinerary (if possible) with an overnight layover on your way.
- Adjust yourself to the daily rhythm of your destination.
- Go out in the sun if you are too sleepy, or make your room very dark if you can't sleep.
- Take it easy for a day or so upon arrival!
- Adjust before you head home.
To read more, you can visit https://www.off-the-path.com/en/how-to-overcome-jetlag/ (not an endorsement of Mercy Ships) as a resource on this topic!