New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

A couple pre-retirees looking forward to the next adventure

My wife and I are preparing to retire in the next couple years and looking forward to where He will call us to serve in our next adventure. She is a high school math teacher with a love of accounting/finances and all things related to puzzles. Me, I work in IT and photography where I am excited to creatively tell stories of the people and work being done. Taking the Perspectives class lead us to attend Urbana ‘18, where we discovered the kinds of positions needing to be filled with Mercy Ships.

Comments

• CynthiaHarrisCynthiaHarris Posts: 7 - Current Staff

Mercy Ships sounds like just the opportunity you might be seeking! We would love to have you as a part of our team as together we bring hope and healing. I would encourage you to check out the Volunteer Guidebook on the Resources tab and to check out the types of volunteer opportunities. Please feel free to ask additional questions. Thank you for your interest in Mercy Ships and for starting your research early!

• kyliebestkyliebest Posts: 5

Hello!

So glad to hear that you and your wife are interested in serving with us! I'm Kylie, the General Recruiter here at Mercy Ships, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. You can reach me directly at the contact information below. I'm looking forward to speaking with you!

[email protected]

903-939-7613

• missiodei365missiodei365 Posts: 2

Thank you Cynthia and Kylie! We are both excited about the possibility of joining Mercy Ships. Ask those around me and they will tell you I have either become a recruiter or spokesperson for MS.

• purser-afmpurser-afm Posts: 5
    edited April 20

I have to say that it's been so special to meet couples who choose to serve together at Mercy Ships. We have one couple on board who have wanted to come for 30 years, and finally the timing was right for them to join us in Guinea. Others are raising their families on board.

Tonight on the ship, we immersed in Maundy Thursday with foot washing, communion and reflection in (our version of) the Garden of Gethsemane. It warmed my heart to see couples foot washing for each other.

I hope your path leads you to us one day!

Julianne

Purser, M/V Africa Mercy

• CarolineKirchnerCarolineKirchner Posts: 26

@missiodei365 YES! It is a wonderful opportunity to serve together not only for couples, but for families too. I served for just 6 weeks in housekeeping in 2016 (I’m an educator too). We have two daughters that served together in 16-17 (one is still serving in the AFM Academy as the first grade teacher). AND my husband was at Urbana ‘18 (volunteering as IVCF staff). Please contact me if you have any questions that I might answer. I too have become a “recruiter/spokes person” for Mercy Ships. It is one of the best ministries I’ve been involved with over the years.

• mitchelgmitchelg Engagement Coordinator Posts: 7 admin

@CarolineKirchner: Thank you so much for your willingness to help and your continued support. It is because of great Mercyshippers like you that we have been able to provide hope and healing for 40 years.

Thank you @missiodei365 for your willingness to serve. @kyliebest as well as many of our members are a great resource.