New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Electrician coming on board

Hi Everyone,
My wife and i are coming to serve in April and just wanted to make sure I'm covering my bases with what to bring.
I'm coming as an electrician.

In the handbook it said i need to bring some khaki pants and a khaki shirt. Are these mandatory?

Also if i bring my own PPE, what is appropriate clothing to bring?
Thanks very much!

Cant wait to come serve!
Thanks Heaps!

Comments

• ShelleyModisetteShelleyModisette Technical Staffing Manager Posts: 34 - Current Staff

Hi Corey,

We are so glad you and Madi will be volunteering with us. You've asked great questions!

The khaki shirt and pants are not mandatory for your position. The department provides 100% cotton overalls in various sizes, which some electricians wear, but you can also wear jeans and a t-shirt.

The ship has a rather well-stocked workshop with fluke meters and European and American brand electrical tools so unless you have a particular favorite tool you don’t have to worry too much about bringing anything. There are hot gloves and the team has worn them to pull fuses from time to time but other than that they tag out circuits and don’t work energized.

I hope this helps! If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Shelley

• CoreyBatesCoreyBates Posts: 3

Thanks Shelley,

That’s very helpful information.
    Is it ok to bring blue work pants instead of jeans (bit more comfortable)
    Also what t shirts are ok to wear whilst working?

Thanks again!
    Corey

• ShelleyModisetteShelleyModisette Technical Staffing Manager Posts: 34 - Current Staff

Corey,
    Absolutely, you can wear any color work pants. Any t-shirt is fine as long as it does not have offensive images or language. And of course, something you don't mind getting dirty.
    Hope this helps!
    Shelley

• CoreyBatesCoreyBates Posts: 3

Thanks Shelley, that is very helpful. Can’t wait to be on board

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 48 admin

We are so thankful for you and Madi! I hope your time onboard is very rewarding.