New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Clothing when not in uniform

RebekahHoyeRebekahHoye Posts: 21

Hello all! I'm wondering what people wear when they are not in uniform or, in my case, scrubs. Are black pants allowed (jean-like material)? I assume from the guidebook that blue jeans appear to not be allowed? I'm trying to decide if I need to go out and purchase linen pants or anything like that as I usually am a t-shirt and jeans type and want to make sure I abide by the rules!

THANKS!

Comments

• So excited for you to serve on the AFM. An adventure and experience that will change you for the better forever. I just served for 6 weeks on the sail to Benin and a few weeks in Benin. Have two daughters who've served, Jennifer who was a receptionist during her gap year and still serving as the 1st grade teacher in the AFM Academy is Beth Kirchner. Most of the women onboard where skirts knee length or longer when not on duty, jeans are allowed at times with a "tunic type" top that covers your derrière. (Frankly, it is too hot to wear jeans.).

• SarahBurdetteSarahBurdette Posts: 16

This was a big question of mine also! I'm planning on bringing some 'quick dry' pants and tshirts for occasions offshore, since wearing a skirt isn't always practical depending on the activity taking place. Hard to match hiking shoes with my skirts. ;) My clothing for the rest of the time is what I would describe as 'business casual.' Mostly long skirts, with a couple slack/shirt combos thrown in. A few dresses for the 'dressy' occasions. It's hard to get a great answer to this question, I've found. I really want someone to take a picture of what they wore EVERY DAY. Then I could be like... oh. I can do that.

• @SarahBurdette Here are a couple of pics from the ship. As you can see, it is casual, modest, lots of “African” prints (you can buy fabric there and have a tailor make your heart’s desire with it). .
    You can look up my daughter Beth Kirchner on facebook and see LOADS of pictures.

• HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 50

You can also watch this video which will help you make clothing decisions while packing :)

• RebekahHoyeRebekahHoye Posts: 21
    @HannahMulvihill that video was very helpful thank you! In the video she mentions a site called navigator numerous times. Is there a link to this site or is it no longer up?
  • HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 50

Navigator is the internal intranet for Mercy Ships which you will be given passwords to, once accepted for service on the ship :)

• RebekahHoyeRebekahHoye Posts: 21
    edited January 23

@HannahMulvihill Thank you! Turns out I was granted access months ago but didn't realize it was something separate from this site. Between the application portal, the community page, the e-mail and navigator, it's a lot to keep track of so I appreciate your guidance! Thank you :) Do you have any idea where on navigator I can access these types of instructional videos? I'm having trouble navigating the site.

• AllyJonesAllyJones Posts: 99

Hi Rebekah!
    We have just updated the Dress Code on Navigator. If you have access to it, search for 'Africa Mercy Dress Code' and it should take you to the main Dress Code page, where you can find information about what to bring. There's a difference between business hours and non-business hours (whether you're working or not) and there's some more guidelines about what to wear when you go ashore.
    Thanks for asking!

Ally Jones
    Operations Director
    Africa Mercy

• Very helpful discussion. Same ideas I was pondering. I will probably order some linen pants from Amazon and stock up, then add some lovely local tunics. Can't wait to get out of the Northwest winter! Am very excited while waiting... Thank you!