New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

What can the Crew Bank do for me?

heatherpetersonheatherpeterson Posts: 81 admin
edited February 8 in Ship Bound

Many of the most frequently asked questions of arriving crew members are related to their personal finances while they are on board. This should answer some of those questions, and if you don't find an answer here, you can email your question to our Crew Bank Clerk at [email protected].

What is the Crew Bank?
The Crew Bank is a service provided to all crew members serving on board. It operates very much like any other bank. You're even able to monitor your balance and spending activity from your computer! However, the Crew Bank is not connected to any outside banking network.

How do I set up an account in the Crew Bank?
When you arrive on board, you will check in with the Finance department and an account will be opened in your name.

What can you do with your crew account?
You can pay your crew fees, make deposits, request cash withdrawals, transfer money to other crew accounts, and pay for purchases in the Ship Shop and Cafe.

How do I access the account?
Our Information Services team will give you your login details and instructions upon arrival.

In what ways can money be deposited into the account?
1) Support from donors received by Mercy Ships
2) Bank Transfers (wire transfers or EFTs)
3) Personal check (USD, GBP, EUR, or CAN)
4) Credit card with 3% fee (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
5) Cash (USD, GBP, EUR)
6) Traveler's checks (USD, GBP, EUR)

Can I cash a personal check in the Crew Bank that is made out to me?
Yes, you can endorse it and can be deposited into your Crew Bank account. There is no fee/charges for this, however, if the check is from a supporter, the cannot be issued a receipt for their donation. (unless they make the check out to Mercy Ships).

What currency is used on board?
US Dollars are used for transactions such as crew fees, deposits into your account, and purchases in the Ship Shop or Cafe. If you are not from the US and plan to use your credit card to make a deposit, you should tell your credit card company that you will have some transactions processed through the US.

How can I take money out of my account?
You can withdraw money from by accessing your account online, or by going to the Crew Bank on board in person during its hours of operation.

Tagged:

Comments

• Do the Crew Bank services include access and usage for volunteers during their service?

• HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 54

@VIRGINIASIMMONS : Hi Virginia, yes you have access to the crew bank during your time onboard. You can pay for your crew fees at the bank or even withdraw local currency if you choose to go out into the market or away for the weekend. They are most helpful in the crew bank and will assist you in whatever way they can when it comes to your finances onboard.

Hannah Mulvihill
    UK Crew Support Coordinator.

• SarahBurdetteSarahBurdette Posts: 16
    Is this the same account that I have been receiving donations into through CrewMates? Or is this something different? If i wanted to pay my crew fees with the money that was donated, will this money cross-over somehow? Thanks!
  • heatherpetersonheatherpeterson Posts: 81 admin

Hi @SarahBurdette - Yes, one way to deposit money into your crew bank account is to transfer it from CrewMates / donor account. It's really simple to do in the online crew account. Hope that helps!

How do I do that? And I was wondering how much the crew fees are for someone staying only for 2 weeks. I know the monthly fee for Tier 1 is $700, but if I'm staying for 2 weeks do I pay the full $700 still, or is it halved? Thanks!

I found the answer myself, for anyone else looking at this thread and wondering. The fees are pro-rated for the time spent there. You only pay for the days of service, not the entire monthly tier fee. :)