New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

Typical day for a hospital physician?

Hello, I will a hospital physician from Jan - March 2019. Is anyone able to give me a brief run-down of a typical day, or the rota system? The job descriptions lists responsibilities etc., but would be helpful to know how it works in practice. Many thanks, Laura

Comments

• HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi Laura,

I can put you in touch with our current Hospital physician who is also British :) I will send you an email just now!

Hannah

• rachelwoodfordrachelwoodford Posts: 3
    edited May 21

Hi Hannah,

Struggling with the dialogue boxes on the website. Could you put me in touch with someone as well to give a rundown on the job?

Thanks,

Rachel

• HannahMulvihillHannahMulvihill Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi @rachelwoodford , where about's in the world are you based? I look after all the UK crew here in England and would be happy to put you in touch with the UK Hospital Physician however, you may find it easier to speak with someone from your own nationality because terminology etc. would be familiar. You may also have a National Office in your area who can support you during this process,

My email is hannah.mulvihill@mercyships.org.uk so feel very free to email me :)

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Programs Senior Staffing Manager Posts: 132 admin

@rachelwoodford - I just want to take this opportunity to say how pleased we are that you will join our wonderful volunteers onboard the Africa Mercy in Senegal. I would be happy to put you in touch with one of our alumni Hospital Physicians. I'll reach out to a few of them to see if they can respond to you.

@rachelwoodford - One of our recent Hospital Physicians is also from Australia. I have reached out to him and have asked him to contact you via myMercy.

• JulieMcKayJulieMcKay Posts: 8

Hi, I will be joining Africa Mercy in Senegal August 24-Nov 2. I would like to know more about the typical day, the current medication formulary, and how best to prepare to serve. I am trained in adult medicine, will I be responsible for pediatric patients? Also, should I bring scrubs? or are they provided?

Thanks, I am looking forward to serving!

Julie McKay

@JulieMcKay Hi Julie! Thank you for your willingness to serve with Mercy Ships in Senegal! I am excited for you. Perhaps @LauraClapham can answer some of your questions, since she has been there recently. I'll check back, and if you haven't received a response, I'll put you in touch with one of our recent Hospital Physicians.

Hi, Andrea! I have not heard from Laura, and I tried to email her, but without a reply. May I speak to someone about a typical day as a hospital physician? Thanks! Julie

@JulieMcKay I'll find someone who can give you this information. Sorry for the delay!

No problem at all! I don't leave for a month, but I am getting excited!

• LauraClaphamLauraClapham Posts: 2

Hello @JulieMcKay ! I am alive! Sorry for the delay, I have just re-entered civilisation in Honduras having been in the jungle with no internet for the past three weeks. Would be more than happy to answer your questions! I will be there from 5 Jan to 28 March so sadly will miss you in person. To answer your quick questions, scrubs are provided so don't bring any. I would recommend bringing a funky pair to wear on Fridays (funky scrubs day) though! There are some funky ones you can borrow, but lots of people also bring their own with weird and wonderful fabrics from around the world. Yes, you look after both paeds and adult patients, but it is not very difficult medicine and there are lots of protocols and guidelines. Maybe it is best if we chat on the phone for some of the more detailed questions, perhaps? Or Facetime? Whereabouts are you based? It is an amazing job on an amazing ship with an amazing team, you will love it!

(PS tthanks @AndreaSchmid for drawing this post to my attention by way of email!)

Thanks for your reply, and I am happy to hear you are still alive! I run the Jungle Hospital in Rio Viejo, Honduras two weeks a year and will always have a special place in my heart for those beautiful people. I hope you are having a great time there.

I am in Florida, USA ( a 5 hr time difference). May I call you in a couple hours ( will be early evening for you)?

Thanks for helping!

Julie

actually, if you are in UK, I am 5 hrs behind you, but if you are in Honduras, I am 2 hrs ahead of you.... I am free now , if you have a moment to speak!

Julie