New To myMercy? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. ------- To View Current Volunteer Opportunities Click Here.

What does a typical day for an admissions nurse look like?

I’ll be serving as an admission nurse in Jan, 2019. I would love to hear from someone who has served or is currently serving in that position.

Answers

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Posts: 21 admin

Hi Theresa,
    I hope you are getting excited for your upcoming service with Mercy Ships! I have forwarded your question to our Admissions Nurse Team Leader, and you should receive a response from her soon. Thank you for being one of our awesome volunteers!

• JILLSOUTERJILLSOUTER Posts: 5

Hi Theresa, I'm off next week to work as an admissions nurse, so I'll let you know when I've been there a while! jill

• AndreaSchmidAndreaSchmid Posts: 21 admin

Hi Jill! Thank you for your reply. I hope your trip to the Africa Mercy went smoothly. Please do let Theresa know what it's like after you've settled in a bit. Thank you!!!

• JILLSOUTERJILLSOUTER Posts: 5

Hi Andrea, thought you might like an update. I've been here 2 1/2 weeks so do not yet know everything. So - a typical day: roll out of top bunk 7am trying not to wake all 5 cabin mates. Head for breakfast - lots of choice. Go up on deck for a bit to watch the ships unloading then down to admissions, team devotions with us 4 nurses and day crew - local Guinean translators. Our job - to make sure all the patients coming into the hosptial have all the right paperwork (lots of paper!) and are fit for surgery the next day and know what to expect.
    So - the patients (adults and children) who have been screened as suitable for our care come to admissions, we check the practical health issues, their understanding of and consent for surgery. Then doctor sees them, we may need to take bloods or ECG, the orpthopaedic patients go to rehab and then after lunch they have some further education about what to expect on the ward and we take them to the wards. We also do health education for the day crew twice a week.
    Some days can be quiet, others quite busy if there are patients who are not fit for surgery and then we try to fit in someone else, perhaps as a same day admission.

we are usually finished by 5, time for a swim before tea then chat with friends, play games, tonight we went out to a very swanky place for an ice cream.
    It's a really good team , the day crew are great and it's an amazing place to work - I really hope you enjoy it
    JIll